Art Unraveled -My gift to My Creative Self

Art Unraveled is a gift I give to my creative self.  Linda and Chuck started this art workshop in 2003.   A variety of classes are scheduled all day and evenings.  It lasts a week in August in Phoenix AZ.  Hot! But we are all inside the hotel playing and learning.  

Deryn's Balanced Bangles
This year I met my good friend Judi from Tucson.  We roomed together for 2 nights and had catch up friend time.  We also took Deryn Mentock’s class “Balanced Bangles” on Friday and went shopping at the ‘Shopping Extravaganza on Saturday.  The attendance has grown to 400 people and I’m sure will continue to expand both in number of people and classes.  The website lists the classes and instructors and also has the information on ‘Adorn Me’.  www.artunraveled.com

Deryn's Work Table and Her Tools



My Stash for Charms



I took my tools, hammers, pliers, torch, wire, found objects, charms and more. 

 We drew beads on 14 gauge bronze wire, then hammered and annealed. Of course, there was not enough time!! I wanted to make 3 of each style!  Instead I made one and part of another, taking notes, watching and hoping I grasped the concepts and skills.  It is always fun to see what each person creates with the same set of instructions. It took Judi and me half the class to realize the title ‘Balanced Bangles’ had a lot to do with balancing weight. 
Judi's Steampunk Bangle


We did two or three different styles of bangles following Deryn’s great instructions!  I’m going to make more bangles at home with the same techniques but with 12 gauge wire. I think I will like the weight of the finished product better and  I will use map gas to draw a bead. Wearing 3-4 of these at once is a great look.


Shopping is always fun at these events. What was for sale? Lots of paper, vintage charms, fabrics, clothes from vintage laces.  Dyed silk fabrics and ribbons, awesome chainmaille necklaces, some stones – cabs and tumbled, several artists showed and sold their work, and lots of stamps, ink, paints.   Lyle Rayfield http://www.lylerayfield.com/ had her silver metal clay birdhouses for sale.  There were tools, found objects, cold connections and so much more.  I bought a few things….a dimple tool that is also a hole punch, a couple of stamps and then I found the stamps that were 1” wide and 6” long.  What a great idea for metal clay impressions. www.lost-coast-designs.com  I also bought a few found objects and some reproduction pieces in brass from ancient Indian and Afghanistan jewelry.  http://www.ashes2beauty.com/bronze-tablets.htm  They were very well done and I thought they might give me some general inspiration when I start carving my clay.  We will see! 
One evening Judi and I went to a book signing with artists and their books. Each author shared a few of the inspirations.  After listening to Michael Demeng discuss his experiences that led to “Dusty Diablos, Folklore Iconography Assemblage Ole” I bought it!  Good reading!  He does share some how to make rusty things and bottle cap Milagros but the book is about his trip to Mexico and how it changed his life.  The book is filled with local folklore, Dusty’s stories and his assemblages.  Good book for reaffirming how our inspiration is built on our life experiences. 
I’m already looking forward to next year’s event!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Learning As We Go!

Spring Do-Over Challenge

The Draw of the Mojave Desert or Why I Started Designing Jewelry