Getting Ready to Teach a Class

Sometimes when you finish a project or in my case a piece of jewelry, you just want to show it to someone.  So I took my just finished necklace, bracelet and earrings to show my friend, Kim, at Bead-It here in Prescott.   This group of jewelry was my experiment into using sheet metals with eyelets and rivets. 
 She had asked earlier if I wanted to teach a class in cold connections and I agreed.  Cold connections are ways to connect individual parts and make a piece of jewelry without soldering or using a kiln.  I’ve learned many techniques at the classes I’ve taken in cold connections from some of the best teachers – Susan Lenart Kazmer and Deryn Mentock .  So I thought why not?
Well, Kim was as excited about my new pieces as I was and so I will be teaching how to make this necklace. 

In order to teach a class of 4 to 6 people, I need to be organized!  So I’ve started a syllabus with a list of materials needed and how much the cost of materials will be.  I have an outline of what to do when and I need to be able to duplicate the concept of the necklace.  I don’t want to make an exact replica because each piece I make is handmade and unique.  But it does need to include eyelets, rivets, wire wrap, hammering, and texturing. 
Last night I sat down to make a similar necklace to the one for the class.  I had my pen and paper and tape measure.  I would write down the steps and measure the lengths of wire and have all my ducks in a row! 






The class is Oct. 29 (Sat) at Bead-IT
Somewhere between step 2 and 3 I took a detour and got involved in creating a different piece or two!  I forgot all about my mission!  I love the new pieces and laughed out loud at myself getting off track! 
Now I need to try again and stick with the program!  As a friend from WLWSSC (the facebook group of artists I belong to) pointed out: I’ll have more variations on a theme to teach the class. 
My teacher's websites!  Thought I'd give credit where credit is due!
Deryn Mentock :  http://somethingsublime.typepad.com/   

Comments

  1. Your artwork is improving and you are definitely being more creative! Nice job!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Learning As We Go!

Spring Do-Over Challenge

The Draw of the Mojave Desert or Why I Started Designing Jewelry