Design Becomes Reality

When I used to design homes, I knew what they would look like in my mind.  And I always sighed gratefully and with relief when the homes were finished and they really did look like what I imagined.  It is the same with my jewelry.

Viking Knit with pearls

The beautiful crystal prism that I saved (who knows why) from some chandelier years ago would become my focal. When I added pearls to viking knit just to see what it looked like, I had no idea where I would use it (see post http://lindabrittdesign.blogspot.com/search?q=viking+knit+and+pearls). As I sat at my workbench with my pencil, paper and parts, this design took shape.  I realized I did not have enough pearls and knew the Tucson Gem Show was coming up.  I drew the design and put the parts (prism and viking knit with pearls) in a box.   I could get pearls the right color and size to finish my recycled prism necklace.
Some major health issues popped up in our house and I had to cancel the Tucson trip.  A couple of very good friends, Jay and Jennifer, went in my stead.  And from an emailed photo and some description they were able to find the exact pearls I needed.  I could hardly wait to receive them in the mail. 
When they arrived, everything stopped so I could sit down in my studio and complete the design. It felt so good to get it out of my head and in to a finished necklace.  And it turned out just as I planned.  That is such a good feeling and I just had to share with you.   


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Learning As We Go!

Spring Do-Over Challenge

The Draw of the Mojave Desert or Why I Started Designing Jewelry