The Junk Yard Run!!

Yesterday my friend, Kim, and I met at Kuhle’s to explore the junk yard!  Neither of us had been there and neither of us had a camera to capture all the interesting shapes and textures and materials.  But we did find Darrell who led us to the locked up room where old sheet metal to be recycled is kept.  We found a treasure trove of copper and one sheet of brass as well as several gauges of wire.  It did not take long to amass 20 pounds of metal at $5.00 a pound. 
Men are working!
One of the first questions we were asked was, “Are you just looking or are you buying?”  Having grown up with two brothers and a father who was in demolition (along with many other businesses), I knew we better be buying.  I know not to waste a busy man’s time when it is close to lunch (or any other time either!).  So we were “buying”! 
The sheet copper we bought had a natural patina, purple colors where I suppose someone tried etching, and there were a few thicknesses.  We quickly selected several pieces as Darrell kept looking at his watch.  After paying, we took our loot and Kim is dividing the wire and I divided the sheet metal and we are happy campers!
Today I went back with my camera so I could share some of the images and give you an idea of what to expect.  I asked yesterday if that would be ok.  It was and no one bothered me today as I snapped away.
Here are some guidelines if you decide to tour your local scrap yard:
1.      Wear grungy clothes and comfortable shoes.  This is a low fashion – hard work area.
2.      Take cash.  Credit cards and checks do not make these guys happy. 
3.      State your business and let them show you what they have.  Be ready to make quick decisions.
4.      Know that you are responsible for your own safety.
I’m amazed at all the stuff that can be found.  Patterns and designs from radiators for texture plates in my jewelry, Stacks of boxes, rows of pipes and i-beams and grates are great for textures and patterns.  If I ever need iron lattice for growing plants on a patio this is where I will go to find it.
I highly recommend this for a great adventure!
Don't these look like people talking?


Radiator Patterns








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Learning As We Go!

The Draw of the Mojave Desert or Why I Started Designing Jewelry

Giving New Meaning to UPCYCLE!