Lace and More Lace

Not long ago, I cleaned out one of my sewing drawers.  I had a lot of pieces of vintage lace.  At one time I was going to make wonderful Victorian accessories but that time has passed. 
Ashley Spicer is a friend who is so talented, the creativity just drips off her fingers!  She makes fabulous children’s clothes as well as ‘Elf Coats’ for grownups.    She just started making corsets and cuffs and uses recycled fabrics.  She was the perfect candidate for my laces. Check her out at http://www.etsy.com/people/beTwitterpated  
My cousin, Sally, lives in San Angelo and we share our love of art and living often.  When I told her I gave my laces to Ashley, she said, “You photographed them first didn’t you?”  Hmmm. Well NO I had not.  It seems Sally does a lot of digital scrapbooking and was drooling over what she thought I had given away with no record.  You never know …..
 The day I took photographs of Ashley in her ‘Elf Coats’ for her art submittal, I also picked up the laces along with a few of Ashley’s and brought them home to photograph.  Google has several interesting articles about photographing lace.  One of them suggested pinning the lace to a foam core board making sure it was stretched but not too tightly.  I tried that with black and with white background.  For the most part I really liked the black background best because the patterns showed up much better.  I also tried draping lace and stacking the lace. 






This turned out to be lots of fun and I think the photos will be really interesting as fronts of blank cards.  What do you think?

Comments

  1. I think they'll make gorgeous cards. I love old lace, and have a good bit hiding in various drawers and jars myself.

    And I often get in trouble with mother for not photographing things!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Learning As We Go!

The Draw of the Mojave Desert or Why I Started Designing Jewelry

Giving New Meaning to UPCYCLE!