Friday, April 6, 2012

Trying Out New Tools

My newest tools have been on the floor long enough!  The doming kit and the Swantrom Disc Cutter Set were getting dusty and I was getting anxious to try them out.  Out of the box and unwrapped!
Swantrom Disc Cutter Set
Remember my trip to the junk yard in a previous blog?  My friend, Kim, and I divided the scrap metal and the wire and it too was sitting on the floor.  Right!  I could hardly walk to the work bench.
I had a couple of polymer clay discs ready for something and I liked the blue copper (someone’s failed etching project) from the junk yard.  So I took the disc cutter and tried it out.  After a couple of tries with the mallet, I had a disc.  Wow! It works!  And a second disc and tiny holes in each of those.
I was careful to leave enough blue copper around the holes I cut so that I could use the leftover for another project I have in mind.
Next the doming kit…not as easy.  In fact, I watched a Beaducation video on YouTube about using it and I will practice.  I was a little intimidated by the process.  Funny! It was just a piece of metal and a mallet and I did not tap it enough.  But for my project, I did fine.  Next time I’ll be more aggressive.
Doming Kit
Got my 20 gauge copper wire out of the box and made head pins for the ear wires.  I wanted large heads so I coiled 4 turns of wire and torched that.  Nice size.  And then I made the ear wires and attached both the copper the polymer discs.  Tomorrow I will clear coat the wires and have a new pair of earrings! 




I love learning how to use new tools!

Friday, April 6, 2012

Trying Out New Tools

My newest tools have been on the floor long enough!  The doming kit and the Swantrom Disc Cutter Set were getting dusty and I was getting anxious to try them out.  Out of the box and unwrapped!
Swantrom Disc Cutter Set
Remember my trip to the junk yard in a previous blog?  My friend, Kim, and I divided the scrap metal and the wire and it too was sitting on the floor.  Right!  I could hardly walk to the work bench.
I had a couple of polymer clay discs ready for something and I liked the blue copper (someone’s failed etching project) from the junk yard.  So I took the disc cutter and tried it out.  After a couple of tries with the mallet, I had a disc.  Wow! It works!  And a second disc and tiny holes in each of those.
I was careful to leave enough blue copper around the holes I cut so that I could use the leftover for another project I have in mind.
Next the doming kit…not as easy.  In fact, I watched a Beaducation video on YouTube about using it and I will practice.  I was a little intimidated by the process.  Funny! It was just a piece of metal and a mallet and I did not tap it enough.  But for my project, I did fine.  Next time I’ll be more aggressive.
Doming Kit
Got my 20 gauge copper wire out of the box and made head pins for the ear wires.  I wanted large heads so I coiled 4 turns of wire and torched that.  Nice size.  And then I made the ear wires and attached both the copper the polymer discs.  Tomorrow I will clear coat the wires and have a new pair of earrings! 




I love learning how to use new tools!