Canyonland's Bangle

As most of you know, my Tuesday blogs for a few weeks will be about my trip to several Utah monuments and parks.  Friday blogs usually have something to do with jewelry and creativity. 
I always take a sketch pad and camera with me on trips.  So many things I see spark an idea for a piece of jewelry I want to make.  This trip was no different and one of the ideas I had after seeing the magnificent rock formations was to combine the vertical slabs of rock with the angled layers. 
Since I’ve been taking several polymer clay classes, I decided that would be the medium.  Rock colors (copper, black, white, gold) mixed with some metallic mica powder and pepper represents the minerals.  I made some canes that combined the colors and that I could flatten for the long vertical rock formations.  For those of you who don’t know what a polymer clay cane is, picture a long cylinder of clay that has a design running through it.  You slice off a thin slab and apply it to a base of clay.  That’s how I got the dark edge around some of the rocks.
The center twist reminds me of the angled organic looking rocks and the gold foil represents the sun hitting the rocks at different times of the day. 
The coke can is the right size for a medium size bangle and it is so easy to use as a round form. 
Once I was satisfied with the bracelet, I fired it in my little oven at 250 for 30 minutes.    I’ll seal it and have a very unique Canyonland’s bangle to remind me of a great camping trip!
 


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Learning As We Go!

Spring Do-Over Challenge

The Draw of the Mojave Desert or Why I Started Designing Jewelry