The Magic of Polymer Clay Extusions!


Finished Button and Beads
After two days of being on the phone with a credit union, a bank, Medicare, and social security, I needed a distraction.  It was time to open my new package with the polymer clay ‘Ultimate Clay Extruder’ by Makin’s and the Bullen’s Wullens Driver Adapter.  I’ve had these tools for weeks and just kept putting off setting them up.  Found an old variable speed drill and I’m ready!
This project started when I signed up for another online ‘Craftcast’ class.  This time it was ‘Extrusions’ with Cynthia Tinapple.  http://www.craftcast.com/class-or-recording-item/279652-learn-to-make-extraordinary-polymer-clay  I attended class and was intrigued.  Of course I ordered all the tools to make the class project and waited.  This evening I watched the class video again and assembled everything.  After conditioning 6 colors of clay, I rolled them through the pasta machine on the widest setting.  I used the Kemper Cutter to make the correct size circles of all the colors, stacked them in interesting color sequences.  I put one roll into the extruder remembering that the color that goes in first is the color that comes out first.  The disc I chose was a triangle.
Stacks of Colored Circles
It was when I turned on the drill that I realized I would have to keep the tube from turning with my hand.  That’s why the suggestion was made to use a vice!  Stopped everything, found the vice, and set the tube in the vice.  Now when I turned on the drill, the clay came out of the disc and made a long triangular string.  I was so disappointed.  The string of clay was BROWN! What happened to the 4 other colors I stacked together? 
The Extruder, Bullen's Wullens Adapter and my drill extruding!












My stacked tiny triangles that I thought were brown.
I figured it was just that kind of day and I would watch the video again to see what I did wrong.  But in the meantime, I cut the triangles into 4” lengths and stacked them together to form one large triangle.  I cut the end off evenly and got the surprise of the night.  Each tiny triangle had the 4 colors inside and it was beautiful.  I just felt like I had done a magic trick. 
Magic! Not brown inside!




Of course I had to slice some for buttons and for beads and just to look at.   I also used Buna cord for the first time and the two cylindrical beads have great holes in them.  I stretched the Buna cord with the polymer clay around it, let go and pulled the cord out.  There it was… a clean hole for stringing the beads.  Cynthia Tinapple teaches the best classes!  http://polymerclaydaily.com/   Thanks Craftcast!
Finished Necklace

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Learning As We Go!

The Draw of the Mojave Desert or Why I Started Designing Jewelry

Giving New Meaning to UPCYCLE!