My Goals for 2012 Revisited


Copper Bell using Hadar's Clay


Last January I listed my goals for year 2012 as:
I will have fun doing whatever I am doing.
I will experiment with new techniques and share them.
And I’m very pleased to say I accomplished them.  In fact, I think I will continue them for 2013!
Having fun doing whatever I’m doing is pretty easy.  I’m at the age that “If it isn’t fun, why would I do it?  And if I have to do it anyway, I might as well make it fun.”
Experimenting with new techniques turned out to be a mixed bag.  I experimented with polymer clay and became known as the “Button Baroness”.  (I laugh about that).  I have several mixed metal, silver metal clay and polymer pieces on consignment in two cities.  (Amazing myself).  New tools have made experimenting easier and fun. 
The copper bell really tinkles!
 And somewhere this year I signed up to take Hadar’s  artinsilver.com/ class in Tucson in February 2013 using her powdered clay and learning new techniques.  I also belong to a metal clay group on Facebook and everyone shares their experiences and concerns.  As I read artist’s progress, problems and set-backs with the clay, I got scared.  I know that sounds a little silly but it is true.  So I put off learning to use Hadar’s clay.  With my less than enthusiastic mindset, reading her manual several times did not help.   I just kept putting the whole thing off.  Well, here it is late December and I have no choice but to take the clay by the horns (so to speak) and start.  After all, I’ve paid for the class and it is non-refundable!
I cannot tell you how many times I have said to students, employees and friends, “Whatever it is, it will not be as bad as you think it will be!”  It wasn’t.  In fact, I followed Hadar’s directions and video exactly.  The copper powder clay mixed beautifully.  The two step firing worked and yes, I still had trepidation.  But I followed the manual and it worked! 
Copper Clay Pieces Ready to Fire

Fired Copper Clay Pieces with center disc polished.

Finished Necklace with Hadar's copper clay
 2013 continues experimenting with new techniques and sharing them! Next I’m trying steel and bronze!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Learning As We Go!

The Draw of the Mojave Desert or Why I Started Designing Jewelry

Giving New Meaning to UPCYCLE!