Anticipation! De-Banding Day

After 2 ½ years (and a few weeks but who is counting?) De-Banding Day is upon me.  The braces on my teeth are coming off!  Jan.29 (TODAY) is the day.  So this last week, I have neon lime green bands on my upper teeth and deep tomato red bands on my lower teeth.  Honestly it looks like I ate a salad and some got stuck in my teeth.  That often happens by the way! 
I’ve had unexciting silver bands for 2 ½ years.  At 65, having braces calls more than enough attention to my mouth and not necessarily in a good way.  The young man who put these lovely colors in my mouth explained that the current rule was: The visit before you de-band requires that you use colored bands. “Ok, you choose.”  And he did!
2 ½ years is a very long time to have discomfort in your mouth….until you talk to someone who has had braces for 4 years. “OMG!” I say, “How can you stand it for that long?” and thank all the stars above that mine have only required this amount of time.
When I started this adventure, it came as a surprise that I even had a problem with my bite or the position of my teeth.  I really had not paid attention.  Four dental opinions later, I agreed to braces.  After all, as one dentist said, “you have a good 20-30 years of eating ahead of you!” 
Just as I was getting ready to take the plunge, we decided to move to another town.  That meant finding a new dentist and orthodontist.  Sigh!  Obviously I did and I have been a model (if not quiet) patient.
I look forward to no longer having metal prongs and rubber bands in my mouth.  I look forward to no more dental wax in my mouth or on the floor.  I look forward to not finding tiny rubber band circles everywhere.  I wish now I had saved all those hundreds to use as spacers between beads in my jewelry. 
I anticipate smiling in pictures, chewing caramel, eating steak, savoring nuts and so much more!
My friend has the champagne cooling……
Anticipation – smooth straight teeth – Jan 29!  TODAY!!  

Since I forgot to post this early this morning allowing you time to share my anticipation of the day, I've been  to the orthodontist!  And my braces are gone! Wonderful!  One more trip back to have my retainers fit and I'm on to the next dental adventure. 

I'll be brushing my teeth several times today just for the JOY of it!  Tonight's menu -- Filet Mignon!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Learning As We Go!

Spring Do-Over Challenge

The Draw of the Mojave Desert or Why I Started Designing Jewelry