Expectations




This is the time of year I try to set realistic goals that are achievable.  Probably you do too.  These are not the overwhelming ones like I used to make – lose 100 pounds, make 5 art projects a week, make $100,000 a year and on and on.  No, now I make goals I think are possible – have fun with whatever I am doing, learn something new, share kindness, eat healthy and exercise (almost) every day and acknowledge joy.  I still have timelines that are measurable and I give myself a little wiggle room.  I’m in charge of my happiness and what I want to accomplish.  I used to forget that. 
It is so easy to try to please others and so difficult to look inside and understand what pleases me.  Losing 50 pounds would please me but not at any cost!  Making lots of money would please me but not at the cost of focusing my life on that.  So now, I look at what really brings me joy, happiness and pleasure.
Last year a friend of mine and I ended each email with a statement:  Joy is…..  and we would finish it with acknowledging something that brought joy that day. 
I go to bed most nights listening to classical music on early instruments because Peter brought his joy of early music into my life.  It brings me pleasure.  Nature, the beauty of living things around me, fascinates me and brings me joy. 
I’m a lot easier on myself than I used to be and my expectations are different. It’s not so important to set goals that add stress to my life but to set goals that bring me joy.  So instead of 5 art projects a week, why not one that I actually enjoy and complete?  If I do 4 others that’s ok.  It’s a bonus.   Instead of seeing the big 100 number, I’m eating healthy with smaller portions and walking most days.  Instead of focusing on dollars, I’m focusing on keeping up with my etsy stores and creating jewelry.  I know I’ll get to where I want to be.
 ‘Joy’ is knowing I’m taking care of me as I participate in the world around me having fun with whatever I’m doing.  Happy New Year!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Learning As We Go!

Spring Do-Over Challenge

The Draw of the Mojave Desert or Why I Started Designing Jewelry