Friday, January 11, 2013

Taking End Caps a Step Further

Last Friday I shared by first sterling silver clay project - the bead end caps that I formed by hand.  This Friday I wanted to share my next experiment with bead end caps.  These are made with fine silver clay and I used a 2 part mold mixture from Cool Tools instead of hand forming them.


The mold

I made 2 parts to the mold and rolled my clay to 2 cards thick.  Placing the clay into the deep mold was more difficult than I anticipated.  The clay cracked and I had to repair it in several places.  It was a little scary taking the two parts of clay out of the molds.  After I wiggled the silicone mold, both pieces popped right out.  While they were drying on the cup warmer, I rolled the clay for the next end cap.  This time I rolled it 3 cards thick and it was easier to put into the mold halves.  It did not crack.


Drying in the mold


Drying on the cup warmer
After both halves were dry, I attached them with clay paste and set them to dry again.  Sanding and smoothing and then into the kiln. 

I drilled holes in the tops after firing.  It would have been so much easier to do it before the firing.  Bet I remember to do that next time!
After firing

Into the tumbler for 45 minutes and look what I took out! 
After Tumbling

p.s. My friend, Kim, was very happy with her sterling silver end caps and I'm very happy with my fine silver ones.





Friday, January 11, 2013

Taking End Caps a Step Further

Last Friday I shared by first sterling silver clay project - the bead end caps that I formed by hand.  This Friday I wanted to share my next experiment with bead end caps.  These are made with fine silver clay and I used a 2 part mold mixture from Cool Tools instead of hand forming them.


The mold

I made 2 parts to the mold and rolled my clay to 2 cards thick.  Placing the clay into the deep mold was more difficult than I anticipated.  The clay cracked and I had to repair it in several places.  It was a little scary taking the two parts of clay out of the molds.  After I wiggled the silicone mold, both pieces popped right out.  While they were drying on the cup warmer, I rolled the clay for the next end cap.  This time I rolled it 3 cards thick and it was easier to put into the mold halves.  It did not crack.


Drying in the mold


Drying on the cup warmer
After both halves were dry, I attached them with clay paste and set them to dry again.  Sanding and smoothing and then into the kiln. 

I drilled holes in the tops after firing.  It would have been so much easier to do it before the firing.  Bet I remember to do that next time!
After firing

Into the tumbler for 45 minutes and look what I took out! 
After Tumbling

p.s. My friend, Kim, was very happy with her sterling silver end caps and I'm very happy with my fine silver ones.