Friday, January 11, 2013

Taking End Caps a Step Further

Last Friday I shared by first sterling silver clay project - the bead end caps that I formed by hand.  This Friday I wanted to share my next experiment with bead end caps.  These are made with fine silver clay and I used a 2 part mold mixture from Cool Tools instead of hand forming them.


The mold

I made 2 parts to the mold and rolled my clay to 2 cards thick.  Placing the clay into the deep mold was more difficult than I anticipated.  The clay cracked and I had to repair it in several places.  It was a little scary taking the two parts of clay out of the molds.  After I wiggled the silicone mold, both pieces popped right out.  While they were drying on the cup warmer, I rolled the clay for the next end cap.  This time I rolled it 3 cards thick and it was easier to put into the mold halves.  It did not crack.


Drying in the mold


Drying on the cup warmer
After both halves were dry, I attached them with clay paste and set them to dry again.  Sanding and smoothing and then into the kiln. 

I drilled holes in the tops after firing.  It would have been so much easier to do it before the firing.  Bet I remember to do that next time!
After firing

Into the tumbler for 45 minutes and look what I took out! 
After Tumbling

p.s. My friend, Kim, was very happy with her sterling silver end caps and I'm very happy with my fine silver ones.





1 comment:

  1. I think these came out just lovely, Linda! Very cool and so versatile. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete

Friday, January 11, 2013

Taking End Caps a Step Further

Last Friday I shared by first sterling silver clay project - the bead end caps that I formed by hand.  This Friday I wanted to share my next experiment with bead end caps.  These are made with fine silver clay and I used a 2 part mold mixture from Cool Tools instead of hand forming them.


The mold

I made 2 parts to the mold and rolled my clay to 2 cards thick.  Placing the clay into the deep mold was more difficult than I anticipated.  The clay cracked and I had to repair it in several places.  It was a little scary taking the two parts of clay out of the molds.  After I wiggled the silicone mold, both pieces popped right out.  While they were drying on the cup warmer, I rolled the clay for the next end cap.  This time I rolled it 3 cards thick and it was easier to put into the mold halves.  It did not crack.


Drying in the mold


Drying on the cup warmer
After both halves were dry, I attached them with clay paste and set them to dry again.  Sanding and smoothing and then into the kiln. 

I drilled holes in the tops after firing.  It would have been so much easier to do it before the firing.  Bet I remember to do that next time!
After firing

Into the tumbler for 45 minutes and look what I took out! 
After Tumbling

p.s. My friend, Kim, was very happy with her sterling silver end caps and I'm very happy with my fine silver ones.





1 comment:

  1. I think these came out just lovely, Linda! Very cool and so versatile. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete