Polymer Clay Conversation

One of the polymer clay groups on FaceBook is 'Polymer Clay Collective'.  This is a group of artists working in polymer clay who share ideas and support each other.  I'm so glad to be a part.  A new feature of this group is the 'Polymer Clay Collective Conversations' where a different member answers a set  of questions.  I get to be first - the trailblazer!
I hope you enjoy learning a little more about me and in two weeks I get to learn more about someone else.
• Tell us a bit about where you live.
I live in Prescott AZ right next to the national forest.  When I look out my studio windows, I often see large black ravens swooping between the pine trees.  Binoculars are always available for close viewing of our smaller forest birds.  You’ve probably read about the forest fires we have had in our area this summer.  The monsoon rains we are having are so welcome.

• What do you do when you're not polymer claying?
As of 2010, I became a retired interior designer.  This is the first time I can remember that I get to choose how to spend my time.  Photography, birding, reading, computering, and working in metal clay are all activities I do when I’m not polymer claying.  I love learning and combining new techniques in my jewelry making.  Sometimes I just sit and enjoy nature.  I also have a couple of Bearded Dragons that keep me company!

• What did you want to be when you were little and do you think you ever will be?
When I was little I made doll clothes.  I don’t think I ever named my dolls but created wonderful wardrobes for them.  Many years later I did sew for some people but did not find that to be my love.  I also went through a period when I wanted to be an Astro-physicist and the world is a better place because I found interior design!

• Tell us something about yourself that we don't know.
After my husband of 33 years died of a GBM brain tumor, it took me 3 years to get comfortable and believe that I could manage life on my own.  That’s when I met Peter on Match.com and we have now been together 4 years.  He introduced me to many new things – lizards, photography, and so much more!

• Tell us your polymer clay story: What made you first try polymer clay and how long has PC been part of your life?
I started going to Art Unraveled in Phoenix many years ago and one of the classes I took was polymer clay taught by Lisa Pavelka.  I really knew nothing about polymer clay before that.  My interest grew and one day a client asked me to find an unusual large mirror to place above her fireplace.  That was my first large polymer clay project.  Two employees and I made loose pleats of copper polymer clay about 5” wide to use as a frame. I cured it in pieces that fit in my toaster oven, assembled them and finished the edging around the mirror with copper braid and beads.  It turned out beautifully and the client has moved it with her to 3 different homes. I was certified in Art Clay in 2003 and started making jewelry and of course added polymer clay to my skill set.
 

• What's your favorite PC technique?
I really like to make canes and experiment with translucent clay.
• What are your art/design inspirations?
Nature and architecture inspire me especially the details of everyday things, how parts of things interconnect, sunlight through bird feathers, colors and the world in general.
 • Show us something you’ve made with polymer clay.


• Additional question for the next artist conversation:
How did a life changing event affect your work in polymer clay?

Comments

  1. Well that was cool to read! I'm always interested in how people get interested in a particular medium. And just life and stuff :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your story. That mirror is exceptional and your work is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Shelda and Tammie. We each have a story and seldom do we take time to tell it or to hear others.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not sure how I missed this post, Linda... I enjoyed reading about your (circuitous) journey to PC!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Learning As We Go!

The Draw of the Mojave Desert or Why I Started Designing Jewelry

Giving New Meaning to UPCYCLE!