Saturday, October 26, 2013

Giving New Meaning to UPCYCLE!


My first ever ‘Do Over Challenge’ was such fun!  I signed up to participate in Jeannie K Dukic’s 6th Do Over Challenge not really knowing anything about how it worked.  I received a necklace that was very sweet with copper wire connections and pinkish pearls.  It sat on my work space for a couple of weeks while I pondered my next move. 


One day I opened my polymer bead collection and was drawn to the pinkish and green beads.  They really looked good with the pearls.  I found some green crystal beads and a few other contenders.  But when I tried the small striped beads, I knew my combination!  This is the finished product for most of the pearls in the original necklace.


It was the week to finish some of my long term projects.  I kept the wires with the red and green rubber bands from the braces I wore for 3 years.  When they finally came off, I asked the orthodontist if I could have them.  He wanted to know why since almost NO ONE wanted them and I told him I wanted to make a piece of jewelry.  I’d had them so long and they cost so much I wanted to see what I could do with them.  That was almost 6 months ago.   Time to do something with them so I could take the finished piece to my 6 month appointment.

The pinkish pearls and red garnets combine with the two wires.  The upper brace had green rubber bands and the lower brace had red rubber bands.  What was I thinking? After cleaning and brushing the wire, I played with all the components and created a heart that symbolizes 3 years of straightening my teeth, getting healthier and strengthening my fortitude!  At 66 that was no mean feat!

The directions for this challenge were to ‘Use at least 50% or more of the Do Over piece’.  I could add beads/components from my own stash.  I really enjoyed this challenge and think I’ll sign up for another one!  You should try it too! 

Saturday, October 26, 2013

Giving New Meaning to UPCYCLE!


My first ever ‘Do Over Challenge’ was such fun!  I signed up to participate in Jeannie K Dukic’s 6th Do Over Challenge not really knowing anything about how it worked.  I received a necklace that was very sweet with copper wire connections and pinkish pearls.  It sat on my work space for a couple of weeks while I pondered my next move. 


One day I opened my polymer bead collection and was drawn to the pinkish and green beads.  They really looked good with the pearls.  I found some green crystal beads and a few other contenders.  But when I tried the small striped beads, I knew my combination!  This is the finished product for most of the pearls in the original necklace.


It was the week to finish some of my long term projects.  I kept the wires with the red and green rubber bands from the braces I wore for 3 years.  When they finally came off, I asked the orthodontist if I could have them.  He wanted to know why since almost NO ONE wanted them and I told him I wanted to make a piece of jewelry.  I’d had them so long and they cost so much I wanted to see what I could do with them.  That was almost 6 months ago.   Time to do something with them so I could take the finished piece to my 6 month appointment.

The pinkish pearls and red garnets combine with the two wires.  The upper brace had green rubber bands and the lower brace had red rubber bands.  What was I thinking? After cleaning and brushing the wire, I played with all the components and created a heart that symbolizes 3 years of straightening my teeth, getting healthier and strengthening my fortitude!  At 66 that was no mean feat!

The directions for this challenge were to ‘Use at least 50% or more of the Do Over piece’.  I could add beads/components from my own stash.  I really enjoyed this challenge and think I’ll sign up for another one!  You should try it too!