Tuesday, January 14, 2014

My Coat of Many Colors - part 2

                   

It’s completed!  My side trip that turned into more days and a few more challenges than I expected is finished.  I love it and have to show it to you!

                      

The color black enhances, pulls colors together, and accents images.  It makes colors ‘pop’ and in the case of my shawl it gives some visual structure to the busy pattern.  The silk neckband and cotton-poly blend lining are both black.

            

I love the way this piece drapes and gives just enough warmth without being hot.  I can dress it up or down.  I need to get another pair of black jeans! 

There were 3 challenges to overcome as I made this and I’ll briefly share for those of you who are  interested.
  •      The first ‘oops’ came when I cut individual pieces out and joined some together.  The very old black strips between the blue embroidered flowers bled black on the yellow silk.  I really had wanted to use that fabric in the panel.  Oh well, those pieces had to be removed because no one wants a surprise like that! I did get to use the blue embroidery parts.  I’ll test all the fabrics sooner.

  •       After putting all the pieces together and attaching the neckband, I steam pressed (not on high) the seams.  One of the fabrics melted – obviously it was not silk.  The challenge was in removing it without taking the neckband off and dismantling the whole shawl.  I simply refused to do that!  The fabric was used in 3 places.  The melted fabric was carefully removed and I was able to replace the pieces but frustration ran high!  Next time (if there is one) I’ll test all the fabrics sooner.
          

  •      The third challenge was the neckband.  I noticed that the lightweight iron-on interfacing made the black silk crinkly.  But after I had ironed it on the fabric (according to the directions) I could not remove it without damaging the silk.  So I continued to finish the shawl.  All done and all I could see were the crinkles in the neckband.  I had a consultation with Luana and we agreed that I would need to quilt, embroider or use some technique to quiet the crinkles!  I found some variegated red thread, practiced a little to see if sewing curves on the neckband would solve the problem.  YES!  All I had to do was control the needle, make matching circles on each side of the neckband and keep the tension of the thread correct!  It worked and I am happy.  I’ll test the interfacing with the fabrics sooner.


Thank you for being interested enough to read about my Shanghai Shawl – my coat of many colors!

I’d love to know how you like it. Please leave a comment!


Tuesday, January 14, 2014

My Coat of Many Colors - part 2

                   

It’s completed!  My side trip that turned into more days and a few more challenges than I expected is finished.  I love it and have to show it to you!

                      

The color black enhances, pulls colors together, and accents images.  It makes colors ‘pop’ and in the case of my shawl it gives some visual structure to the busy pattern.  The silk neckband and cotton-poly blend lining are both black.

            

I love the way this piece drapes and gives just enough warmth without being hot.  I can dress it up or down.  I need to get another pair of black jeans! 

There were 3 challenges to overcome as I made this and I’ll briefly share for those of you who are  interested.
  •      The first ‘oops’ came when I cut individual pieces out and joined some together.  The very old black strips between the blue embroidered flowers bled black on the yellow silk.  I really had wanted to use that fabric in the panel.  Oh well, those pieces had to be removed because no one wants a surprise like that! I did get to use the blue embroidery parts.  I’ll test all the fabrics sooner.

  •       After putting all the pieces together and attaching the neckband, I steam pressed (not on high) the seams.  One of the fabrics melted – obviously it was not silk.  The challenge was in removing it without taking the neckband off and dismantling the whole shawl.  I simply refused to do that!  The fabric was used in 3 places.  The melted fabric was carefully removed and I was able to replace the pieces but frustration ran high!  Next time (if there is one) I’ll test all the fabrics sooner.
          

  •      The third challenge was the neckband.  I noticed that the lightweight iron-on interfacing made the black silk crinkly.  But after I had ironed it on the fabric (according to the directions) I could not remove it without damaging the silk.  So I continued to finish the shawl.  All done and all I could see were the crinkles in the neckband.  I had a consultation with Luana and we agreed that I would need to quilt, embroider or use some technique to quiet the crinkles!  I found some variegated red thread, practiced a little to see if sewing curves on the neckband would solve the problem.  YES!  All I had to do was control the needle, make matching circles on each side of the neckband and keep the tension of the thread correct!  It worked and I am happy.  I’ll test the interfacing with the fabrics sooner.


Thank you for being interested enough to read about my Shanghai Shawl – my coat of many colors!

I’d love to know how you like it. Please leave a comment!