Friday, April 4, 2014

My Yellow Bug - An inspiration piece.

It is springtime and time for bugs!  This is a framed bug (dead – pretty much the only kind I like) from Malaysia that I purchased at a Reptile Show.  I could feel a spring project in the making!






I studied the form of the body and thought about what materials I could use to construct my bug.  The result is a body made of Hadar Smart Bronze clay formed in segments.  The wings had to move and the best way was to make a hinge as an integral body part. 



 

 A nickel chromium wire feeds from tail to head.  The tail became one with the wire but the head remainedseparate. I finished the body and finally stabilized the head to the first segment by soldering. 



With the body finished, the wings were next.  The colors were mixed with some translucent clay.  I could have used more translucent but generally the combination of 672 yellow,1150 Lemonade,380 Buried Treasure, white and translucent polymer clay worked well.  



 I made the cane, sliced the wings and attached them each side of the body at the metal hinges.  Then they were textured, smoothed and cured. 



Of course the bug needed a way to attach to a chain and there was just enough room between the body parts under the hinge to wrap the wire that would become the bail.  The necklace, moving wings complete with antennae, is lightweight, easy to wear and kind of dramatic!  Today I wore this creation and I got compliments!  


Nature can inspire in so many ways and now I have leftover bug wings to continue the spring creations!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Friday, April 4, 2014

My Yellow Bug - An inspiration piece.

It is springtime and time for bugs!  This is a framed bug (dead – pretty much the only kind I like) from Malaysia that I purchased at a Reptile Show.  I could feel a spring project in the making!






I studied the form of the body and thought about what materials I could use to construct my bug.  The result is a body made of Hadar Smart Bronze clay formed in segments.  The wings had to move and the best way was to make a hinge as an integral body part. 



 

 A nickel chromium wire feeds from tail to head.  The tail became one with the wire but the head remainedseparate. I finished the body and finally stabilized the head to the first segment by soldering. 



With the body finished, the wings were next.  The colors were mixed with some translucent clay.  I could have used more translucent but generally the combination of 672 yellow,1150 Lemonade,380 Buried Treasure, white and translucent polymer clay worked well.  



 I made the cane, sliced the wings and attached them each side of the body at the metal hinges.  Then they were textured, smoothed and cured. 



Of course the bug needed a way to attach to a chain and there was just enough room between the body parts under the hinge to wrap the wire that would become the bail.  The necklace, moving wings complete with antennae, is lightweight, easy to wear and kind of dramatic!  Today I wore this creation and I got compliments!  


Nature can inspire in so many ways and now I have leftover bug wings to continue the spring creations!

No comments:

Post a Comment