Making Faux Glass Beads


Glass Lampwork Beads are among my favorite eye candy.  When I saw this tutorial on faux lampwork beads I decided I had to try it!  This is the link for the tutorial:  https://www.etsy.com/listing/176555759/faux-glass-polymer-clay-tutorial-pack-3?ref=related-6
It is very well written, nicely illustrated and a pleasure to follow.  I recommend this!

I love these beads and can't wait to make more with this technique
First I started collecting the supplies and naturally I needed to order some things!  I did not have Kato liquid polymer nor did I have a heat gun.  I love tools so here was another excuse!  Now I have a heat gun!  I bought the Ryobi 11 Amp Variable-Temp Heat Gun that was suggested in the tutorial.  It is great – easy to hold and the temperature is easy to adjust!  The Kato clay I bought came in a bubble wrap envelop and the lid was loose.  Ick! What a mess.  Amazon refunded the money and I was able to salvage enough to do the project.  Finally ready!

I made the white beads per instructions and cured them. 

 

I mixed the alcohol inks which I really have not experimented with much.  A little messy but not bad and the colors and patterns created were gorgeous. 

 

My cardboard box came in handy to dry the beads between stages.  The corrugated openings are just the right size for bamboo skewers!  I also found that I made the bead holes larger than I needed.  So next time I will pay attention to that aspect.

 

You really have to read the tutorial to appreciate the skill improvement attained with practice or maybe just seeing the first few beads will give you an idea. 

Definitely the throw away beads!
With a plan, patience and practice you can get a great finished product that really does look like lampwork. 



I discovered that I loved the beads before I put the raised dots on them.  I did not enjoy the dot process.  So for me enjoying other artists lampwork beads will continue to be my eye candy.  I will, however, make the beads using some of the techniques in the tutorial.  I want to make head pins next!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Learning As We Go!

Spring Do-Over Challenge

The Draw of the Mojave Desert or Why I Started Designing Jewelry