So Many Memories Hanging in My Closet




Cleaning closets and de-cluttering is such a difficult task for me.  I’m determined to reduce the things I don’t use and have not used in years.  And exactly why do I keep all the stuff?  It’s the memories…… aaah!
Today I started in my closet on the back wall.  It’s a long narrow walk-in and when I moved in, it looked so big …until I started unpacking!  I keep the ‘dress-up’ clothes, coats and vests on that back wall.  It's also a great place to store items for my vintage etsy store.








The first piece I took out was a vest that has not been worn in 35 years.  It looks like new, beautifully tailored with handmade buttonholes and lined.  Someone should be wearing it.  And you wonder why I've kept it that long?  Yes, it has a story.  I made that wool vest.  In fact, I wove the fabric, cut the pattern and sewed it!  It was indeed a labor of love.


 I was living in Mountain View CA at the time and working as an interior designer.  In my spare time, I took spinning and weaving classes.   It was such fun. I even contemplated growing silkworms for their silk. I was going to put them in a shoe box in the closet until I learned how noisy they were when eating their mulberry leaves.  So much for weaving their silk! 

 I wish I had pictures of the sheep’s fleece that I cleaned in the kitchen sink, hung on clothes hangers all over the apartment, carded and spun during that time.  It’s the smell I remember and the lovely chunky yarn I spun.

It  is time to share that vest with someone else.  I don’t wear it now because quite frankly, it is too small and I don’t see myself ever fitting into it!  Since it is now vintage, I listed it on my etsy site hoping someone will love it enough to buy it.    https://www.etsy.com/listing/193257263/classic-handwoven-vest?

Then there is the black lace fringy two-piece dress that I doubt I will ever wear again since it has not been worn in 12 years…it’s still in style but really? I wore it to several special events and felt quite like the foxy lady!   I’m thinking about sharing it. 


Next up is my long white cotton lace skirt.  It is brand new.  Never worn and 25 years old!  I was flipping through a catalog and there she was – a beautiful young woman with long black hair (like mine at one time).  She was sitting on a black horse sidesaddle with the most beautiful white long cotton lace skirt flared to a half circle.  A forest in the background and you knew her knight would ride out of the trees, gather her into his arms and ride into the sparkling future.  Right!  I was married and had my own knight but I also really wanted that skirt.  I bought it.  I still have it along with the memory of that advertisement.  The reality was that I did not like riding horses and could not bring myself to wear the skirt. (thought I looked fat in it!)  I just wanted to look at it and let my imagination run wild!  The quandary:  to share that skirt with someone who might actually wear it and enjoy it or keep it for my imagination.   Hmmm!


 Maybe I should start with the chest of drawers and see if I make better progress.  The closet is going to take some time.  Too many memories and stories in there! 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Learning As We Go!

Spring Do-Over Challenge

The Draw of the Mojave Desert or Why I Started Designing Jewelry