Changing the Emphasis

This week I've been thinking a lot about how changing the emphasis on what I’m doing affects the outcome.

I used to weave and my husband made a beautiful vertical loom so I could make tapestries and flat rugs.  I really did not have time to use it because I was running my own interior design business.  I kept the loom along with some wonderful yarns because I knew someday I would have time.  That loom and the yarn moved from Tucson to Prescott with me and sat in the closet for 5 years.  I've done no weaving in 10 years.  The emphasis was on what could have been and on a dream that was never going to happen and in fact I did not want.  I sold the loom to a young woman who is collecting tools she wants to use in the future.  I understood that.  The yarn is now listed on my Etsy site in supplies.  I had to examine what I really wanted and why before I could let go of the past.

It was the same with moving from my Tucson home of 25 years.  My husband died in 2002 and 4 years later I met Peter.  Eventually he moved into my home where I had my business and all my things and all my husband’s tools etc.  We stayed there for 4 years and I finally realized it was time for me to retire, close my business and to find a home that would be Peter’s and mine.  We found that in Prescott.  Once I changed my emphasis from status quo to what would expand our lives, moving was not so traumatic.  And we are very happy in ‘our’ home making our new memories.


Recently I took many pieces of my metal clay and knitted wire jewelry to Tucson to a boutique (AK Jensen in St. Phillips Plaza) to see if she was interested in taking some on consignment.  She sold several pieces in the past and I was interested in her opinion.  She took 51 pieces and I was ecstatic!  Only a few weeks before that happened I was wondering what to do about my jewelry business.  I love creating the pieces but I do not like marketing and don’t want to do craft shows.  If I was going to keep the business I was going to have to change my attitude.  After much soul searching, I decided that I could have a hobby and if someone wants my creations that will be lovely.  I can be much more relaxed, be thankful for any sales and have a good time.  It is a good place for me to be mentally.  My emphasis changed from being profitable to the joy of creating.   


I’m learning to put my emphasis on enjoying the moment.  That will undoubtedly be a life time endeavor!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Learning As We Go!

Spring Do-Over Challenge

The Draw of the Mojave Desert or Why I Started Designing Jewelry