When I start a project I try to have a plan – at least a loose idea of where I’m heading. This experiment started out with me wanting to make links for a bracelet with mokume gane that I learned to do in Hadar’s class in Tucson. I used Friendly Copper, Friendly Bronze and Pearl Grey Steel clay in my extruder to make a long square rope that I cut into sections. The sections had all 3 types of clay in concentric circles that mimicked the Japanese mokume gane. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mokume-gane
I made the back layer for the 8 links in bronze and placed the cut squares in rows making sure I had good contact with the backing. The nice thing about using these there clays is firing them all at one time and in one stage. So much easier.
Before I started the project, I made U shaped wire tabs (nickel chromium) to insert between the bronze backing and the mokume gane squares. I thought that would be the best way to connect the links.
I also knew many of you were not familiar with the finishing steps in working with Hadar’s base metal clay. After I fired the links, I finished them so I could photograph all the stages at one time to show you.
|These are all finished and ready to assemble. Each little square within each rectangle has pattern made by the 3 kinds of clay - that's the mokume gane pattern.|
And this is where my original plan to make a bracelet took a detour and turned into a necklace with Tiger Eye beads between each link! I really like the change and the combination! Plans are just that…. A roadmap with unexpected turns!