The Joy of Birthdays


I've always loved birthdays.  It’s obvious from the photo of my 1st birthday.   Mom made birthdays special with a small party of family and friends, a cake and candles and a small gift.  I always knew I was loved.

Through the years the birthdays changed.  Sometimes I was near family and sometimes I was far away.  No matter – I had a birthday phone call and a package.  My husband made sure we went to dinner or were with friends.  Yes, I have been and am spoiled and loved! 

When we moved to Tucson in the mid 1980’s a group of women just clicked and we started a birthday group.  I did not have a lot of women friends until then and had no idea how rich my life would be because of them.  Our birthday group started out with 4 ladies and the birthday girl could pick a theme (if not, the rest of us did) and she could invite whomever she wanted.  The group grew into rather large group.  The joy that we gave and received from each other brings me happiness that will last a lifetime.  I want to share some of the fun we had.

Here are some of the Birthday Themes (and there were many more!):

Make Your Own Hat Party – everyone brought a hat and decorated it.
 
Halloween - everyone decorates their individual pumpkin

Mickey and Minnie Mouse

Costumes were important!

English Tea Party – individual tea pots, different teas, and individual tea cups

Hot Air Balloon Ride – My husband and I got a hot air balloon ride with our friends sending us up and then everyone met at a restaurant with decorations in the theme

Friends

The Yellow Brick Road – a paper yellow brick road leading to the house, dress like the characters
 
1950’s Yard Sale – 1950’s products set up as a yard sale and the participants dressed in 1950’s style

Victorian Theme with Stuffed Animal – parasols, hats, lace gloves, in a tea room setting with our stuffed friends beside us!

Gypsies – all dressed as gypsies and we hired a palm reader – everyone had 15 minutes of private consultation.

The Big Top – red and white striped tent entrance, circus music, everyone in a circus performer’s costume, rent a clown and have cotton candy!

Circles – everything had to be a circle


So many memories and so many wonderful friends!  Thanks to everyone who wished me a Happy Birthday.  It was! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Learning As We Go!

Spring Do-Over Challenge

The Draw of the Mojave Desert or Why I Started Designing Jewelry