Sorting Chains



This past week has been about care giving to my guy.  Peter fell and fractured his ankle and needed lots of help with getting 'the boot' on and off and with icing.  So creativity took second place!

One evening I looked for something in my stash of stuff to inspire me.  Like most jewelry artists, I have a lot of stuff and it is not all organized and comes from many places including a yard sale plastic box filled with all sorts, shapes and lengths of chain for very little money.  It's been sitting on a shelf since I bought it and that night the plastic box fell on the floor and everything in it scattered.  I had a choice - gather them up and stuff them back in the box or look at this as an opportunity to see what I have.



I started separating the chains into gold color and silver color; then separating them in to types of chains and lengths and pretty soon it became clear that their was not enough time or space!  I really wanted to just stuff them back in the plastic box on the shelf!   My solution was chains by color and maybe by thickness.  Separating the chains into types and cleaning them will have to wait for another time!  At least they may be tangle-free and somewhat organized.  If anyone has a better idea for organization please share it!



There is so much to learn about chains and this even made me realize how little I really know.  Things like knowing what kind of metal, what style and is it vintage or new?  How to clean chain, which is worth keeping and how to store it.  There is always something new to learn!  I just need more time in my days!  This is a start!

  credit:  www.kennygoodman.com
TYPES OF CHAINS
A quick guide to cleaning!   http://www.jewelrynotes.com/necklace-clean-and-care-guide/



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Learning As We Go!

The Draw of the Mojave Desert or Why I Started Designing Jewelry

Giving New Meaning to UPCYCLE!