Friday, March 25, 2016

Figuring out Jewelry Design Solutions


Seedpods are a secret love of mine.  I collect them and many different kinds line my window sill.  I love to make them out of metal clay

This bronze seedpod started out with bronze clay wrapped around a wax shape that was covered in saran wrap.   After the clay dried, I pulled out the wax through a hole I made for the bale.  The center seeds are thin steel circles that were placed over the bronze layer.  I painted veins on the sides and back with bronze slip (thinned bronze clay), sanded and let the piece dry. 




The bronze clay was fired in activated charcoal in a 2 stage process and I always hold my breath when I remove a fired piece from the kiln several hours later.  Did the clay sinter (did it fuse into metal?)  or will I need to fire it again?  This time the clay did sinter except for one steel circle which got lost in the charcoal.


After polishing my seedpod, I reviewed my choices.  I could leave the hole open or I could make another circle to fill the hole and fire the whole thing again.  I could figure out another way to fill the hole.  I waited and I thought and I experimented.  Then I ordered a silver stone setting, took another deep breath and soldered it to the open space hoping it would give the appearance of a special seed.  It worked!  I was so surprised and pleased, I did a happy dance!  Into the setting went the orange faceted CZ and I love the result. 





What do you think?  

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your article and for giving us the chance to read it. It is very helpful and encouraging. Visit my site too.

    triciajoy.com

    www.triciajoy.com

    ReplyDelete

Friday, March 25, 2016

Figuring out Jewelry Design Solutions


Seedpods are a secret love of mine.  I collect them and many different kinds line my window sill.  I love to make them out of metal clay

This bronze seedpod started out with bronze clay wrapped around a wax shape that was covered in saran wrap.   After the clay dried, I pulled out the wax through a hole I made for the bale.  The center seeds are thin steel circles that were placed over the bronze layer.  I painted veins on the sides and back with bronze slip (thinned bronze clay), sanded and let the piece dry. 




The bronze clay was fired in activated charcoal in a 2 stage process and I always hold my breath when I remove a fired piece from the kiln several hours later.  Did the clay sinter (did it fuse into metal?)  or will I need to fire it again?  This time the clay did sinter except for one steel circle which got lost in the charcoal.


After polishing my seedpod, I reviewed my choices.  I could leave the hole open or I could make another circle to fill the hole and fire the whole thing again.  I could figure out another way to fill the hole.  I waited and I thought and I experimented.  Then I ordered a silver stone setting, took another deep breath and soldered it to the open space hoping it would give the appearance of a special seed.  It worked!  I was so surprised and pleased, I did a happy dance!  Into the setting went the orange faceted CZ and I love the result. 





What do you think?  

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your article and for giving us the chance to read it. It is very helpful and encouraging. Visit my site too.

    triciajoy.com

    www.triciajoy.com

    ReplyDelete