What WE See When We Really Look


 During a very brief recent trip to Kansas City Mo. I visited the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art with my nephew Matt as my guide.  Many years ago, when I lived in that area, my mom and I would spend hours there enjoying the sculptures, paintings and architecture.   We spent several  hours enjoying the architecture and art as well as eating lunch in the café next to a fountain. we pretended to be  somewhere in Italy during the 15th century eating excellent food. Easy to do at that cafe! 


The current special exhibit is REFLECTING CLASS IN THE AGE OF REMBRANDT AND VERMEER.  It offers a different way of seeing history as well as appreciating the masters.  http://www.nelson-atkins.org/art/exhibitions/


Seeing the actual paintings, the detail of the brush strokes, and the stories was mesmerizing.  I knew how luxurious the laces and fabrics were just by looking.  It was as though I hear the satins moving and the lace fluttering and feel the textures without touching. 



I started really looking at the details of the painting and the story they told.  The variety of lace patterns and who had ruffles and who did not and what did they mean in their society.  This of course led me to look at the type of jewelry the ladies of the upper class wore.  The trends of the day- pearl chokers and pearl bracelets worn by young and adult females- were similar to today’s trends in pearls. 


The more I looked the more I saw - about how the past and present connect, about our need to conform with rules and how it all shows up in how we present ourselves to others.  The more I looked, the more detail and understanding I encountered and isn’t that true of everything.



You might enjoy this blog about Anne Boleyn and timeless trends.  I did.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Learning As We Go!

Spring Do-Over Challenge

The Draw of the Mojave Desert or Why I Started Designing Jewelry