It's time for experimenting and sharing!  This week I played with silk screening metallic powder and am pretty excited about the results!

Starting with Helen Breil's silkscreen 'Pills and coffee' www.helenbreil.com/silkscreens, the tiny holes in the silk screen really make beautiful designs.  I used Ranger 'Perfect Pearls' powder  that come in a set of 4 metallic colors.(copper, bronze, silver and gold)  Little sponge applicators (in the package)  make rubbing the powder into the screen so easy.  If you brush the powder be sure to use a separate brush for each color.  Otherwise the colors mix together too easily.
I used black polymer as the base and screened on the copper shown in this picture.  It was also easy to screen the pattern on the rounded shapes.   Really a nice look.  The powder adhered nicely after curing.
Silk Screen I used

Metallic powders I used

Copper Metallic Silkscreen on Black Polymer Clay
Next I used this medallion stencil and brushed the metallic colors on the black polymer.  Then I used saran wrap over the clay and cut circles.  The pressure of the circle cutter on the saran makes the edges round.  These came out beautifully.  They would be great pendant, brooches or buttons!


I hope you are taking some time to play during this busy month of December!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Learning As We Go!

The Draw of the Mojave Desert or Why I Started Designing Jewelry

Giving New Meaning to UPCYCLE!