Wednesday, August 2, 2017

A New Journal Cover






Creating a journal cover in polymer clay that has an embossed leather look was a fun project!  I've  had the  centerpiece polymer parts done for months.  Some of you might remember me asking what I should do with them.  I decided to incorporate them into the cover!  




The polymer needed to be conditioned and I made 2 colors a few shades apart so I could interchange parts of the design.  I textured the clay by using a texture plate that reminded me of embossed leather.


After placing the decorations on the polymer and texturing, I used powdered copper, bronze an gold to create color movement.  At first it looked too bright but I burnished with a cloth.  It started looking like old leather!

I baked the 8 1/2 x 11 journal cover in the oven at 275 degrees for 30 minutes.  Then I painted a burnt umber over everything and wiped it off.  That really helped 'age' the cover.    

The cover is sealed with PMII  and glued to the journal.  It has an old world feel with mixed media components.  I hope someone enjoys using it!  




Wednesday, August 2, 2017

A New Journal Cover






Creating a journal cover in polymer clay that has an embossed leather look was a fun project!  I've  had the  centerpiece polymer parts done for months.  Some of you might remember me asking what I should do with them.  I decided to incorporate them into the cover!  




The polymer needed to be conditioned and I made 2 colors a few shades apart so I could interchange parts of the design.  I textured the clay by using a texture plate that reminded me of embossed leather.


After placing the decorations on the polymer and texturing, I used powdered copper, bronze an gold to create color movement.  At first it looked too bright but I burnished with a cloth.  It started looking like old leather!

I baked the 8 1/2 x 11 journal cover in the oven at 275 degrees for 30 minutes.  Then I painted a burnt umber over everything and wiped it off.  That really helped 'age' the cover.    

The cover is sealed with PMII  and glued to the journal.  It has an old world feel with mixed media components.  I hope someone enjoys using it!