Friday, June 14, 2013

Fire and Wind Necklace

I'm experimenting with color and new techniques.  My ‘Wind and Fire’ necklace developed from combining colors I found in an inspiration fabric.  You know, the quarter and half yards of fabric we buy because we love something about the pattern or the colors – inspiration fabric!
I also wanted to experiment with the ‘feather’ or bargello pattern and this is what happened!
When I make a slab of patterned polymer, I want to use it all.  That means beads, earrings and anything else I can think of. 
 After I made the rectangles for the flared necklace, I made an 8” roll by wrapping a piece of the slab around the handle of an exacto knife.  It really turned out well.  I just have not decided if I want to saw it into shorter pieces or keep it long.  I might cut it into thirds and string it. 
After everything was cut, detailed and fired, I put it all into the tumbler that was lined with sandpaper.  That always makes me nervous but it always comes out smooth.  I sanded a little, buffed and thought!  How was I going to make this necklace?  My creations tend to come as I work on the pieces. 
The finished necklace lays beautifully, is lightweight and the colors of fire look like the wind just blew across them. 




1 comment:

  1. Oh that is beautiful. Love that windswept effect. You should write a tutorial for that.

    ReplyDelete

Friday, June 14, 2013

Fire and Wind Necklace

I'm experimenting with color and new techniques.  My ‘Wind and Fire’ necklace developed from combining colors I found in an inspiration fabric.  You know, the quarter and half yards of fabric we buy because we love something about the pattern or the colors – inspiration fabric!
I also wanted to experiment with the ‘feather’ or bargello pattern and this is what happened!
When I make a slab of patterned polymer, I want to use it all.  That means beads, earrings and anything else I can think of. 
 After I made the rectangles for the flared necklace, I made an 8” roll by wrapping a piece of the slab around the handle of an exacto knife.  It really turned out well.  I just have not decided if I want to saw it into shorter pieces or keep it long.  I might cut it into thirds and string it. 
After everything was cut, detailed and fired, I put it all into the tumbler that was lined with sandpaper.  That always makes me nervous but it always comes out smooth.  I sanded a little, buffed and thought!  How was I going to make this necklace?  My creations tend to come as I work on the pieces. 
The finished necklace lays beautifully, is lightweight and the colors of fire look like the wind just blew across them. 




1 comment:

  1. Oh that is beautiful. Love that windswept effect. You should write a tutorial for that.

    ReplyDelete