Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Squash Blossoms for Dinner

Our Farmer’s Market opened Saturday and on a whim I bought a bag of squash blossoms.  I’ve lived in the Southwest for 28 years and have never cooked (or eaten) squash blossoms!  Time to correct that!  Tonight I fixed beef burritos and a salad and realized that I better cook my blossoms.  Of course I went to the internet and googled ‘squash blossom’ and up came pictures of squash blossom necklaces – beautiful ones.  Then I forced myself to find some edible squash blossom recipes.  Most were more involved that I wanted.  Squash blossoms are blossoms from zucchini plants that are colorful and delicate.  I found this recipe in a blog, tried it and wow! These are good!  Sometime I’d like to try batter fried blossoms but not til I lose more weight! 
The helpful blog:  http://kitchen-parade-veggieventure.blogspot.com/2006/09/simple-baby-pattypan-squash-with.html  with lots of interesting information.  I emailed Alanna Kellogg
St Louis, Missouri for permission for highlight her post here!  As she did not reply, I’m giving her credit. 
SIMPLE BABY PATTYPAN SQUASH with SQUASH BLOSSOMS
Hands-on time: 5 minutes
Time to table: 15 minutes
Serves 6

1 quart baby pattypan squash with blossoms
1 tablespoon butter
[fresh thyme? recommended by my new friend Linda, who also brought home these very same squash blossoms!]
Good salt

Remove the blossoms from the pattypans.
Pattypans (inside the blossoms)
Wash the pattypans. Trim the stems close and cut in half lengthwise (optional). In a non-stick skillet large enough to hold a single layer of the squash, heat the butter til melted on MEDIUM.
Add the squash and cook, stirring frequently, til just beginning to brown. Transfer to a warm plate and cover.
Meanwhile, gently wash the blossoms and check the insides for critters. Drop into the hot skillet and cook for just a couple of seconds, just as beginning to wilt.
Transfer to plate.Sprinkle with good salt. Serve immediately.

 

NUTRITION ESTIMATE
Per Serving: 29 Cal (57% from Fat, 12% from Protein, 31% from Carb); 1 g Protein; 2 g Tot Fat; 1 g Sat Fat; 3 g Carb; 1 g Fiber; NetCarb2; 12 mg Calcium; 0 mg Iron; 2 mg Sodium; 5 mg Cholesterol; Weight Watchers 0 points (because of small portion









Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Squash Blossoms for Dinner

Our Farmer’s Market opened Saturday and on a whim I bought a bag of squash blossoms.  I’ve lived in the Southwest for 28 years and have never cooked (or eaten) squash blossoms!  Time to correct that!  Tonight I fixed beef burritos and a salad and realized that I better cook my blossoms.  Of course I went to the internet and googled ‘squash blossom’ and up came pictures of squash blossom necklaces – beautiful ones.  Then I forced myself to find some edible squash blossom recipes.  Most were more involved that I wanted.  Squash blossoms are blossoms from zucchini plants that are colorful and delicate.  I found this recipe in a blog, tried it and wow! These are good!  Sometime I’d like to try batter fried blossoms but not til I lose more weight! 
The helpful blog:  http://kitchen-parade-veggieventure.blogspot.com/2006/09/simple-baby-pattypan-squash-with.html  with lots of interesting information.  I emailed Alanna Kellogg
St Louis, Missouri for permission for highlight her post here!  As she did not reply, I’m giving her credit. 
SIMPLE BABY PATTYPAN SQUASH with SQUASH BLOSSOMS
Hands-on time: 5 minutes
Time to table: 15 minutes
Serves 6

1 quart baby pattypan squash with blossoms
1 tablespoon butter
[fresh thyme? recommended by my new friend Linda, who also brought home these very same squash blossoms!]
Good salt

Remove the blossoms from the pattypans.
Pattypans (inside the blossoms)
Wash the pattypans. Trim the stems close and cut in half lengthwise (optional). In a non-stick skillet large enough to hold a single layer of the squash, heat the butter til melted on MEDIUM.
Add the squash and cook, stirring frequently, til just beginning to brown. Transfer to a warm plate and cover.
Meanwhile, gently wash the blossoms and check the insides for critters. Drop into the hot skillet and cook for just a couple of seconds, just as beginning to wilt.
Transfer to plate.Sprinkle with good salt. Serve immediately.

 

NUTRITION ESTIMATE
Per Serving: 29 Cal (57% from Fat, 12% from Protein, 31% from Carb); 1 g Protein; 2 g Tot Fat; 1 g Sat Fat; 3 g Carb; 1 g Fiber; NetCarb2; 12 mg Calcium; 0 mg Iron; 2 mg Sodium; 5 mg Cholesterol; Weight Watchers 0 points (because of small portion