The Making of a Flower


The Flower!
The Prescott Art Market recently started a quarterly art show-competition.  There is space to hang 20 canvases that measure 20" x 20" x 2"  and anyone who shows their work in the gallery is eligible to participate.  The theme and color scheme is based on the seasons.  Spring is coming up!  March 1 is the opening show from 6 pm to 8 pm and you are invited!

This is the color scheme for spring
and these are my test pieces for the polymer colors.

I'm trying some new (for me) ideas in polymer clay and instead of making only jewelry, I'm exploring polymer on a canvas with some 3 dimensional pieces.

I gathered canes I had and made additional ones in the colors of the spring scheme and started to design a canvas that tells the story of making a 3 dimensional flower.

Canes I selected for the project
Several canes were selected to make a design line and then I sliced the long composite cane.  A thin blue sheet of polymer was rolled and the design line of canes was arranged.  Soon the sheet was filled!

Slices of design line canes
Preparing a sheet of polymer design ines
Once the sheet is finished, smoothed, and shaped, 3 dimensional flowers are added to the corresponding flat canes.  I want to show a flat small cane becoming a 3 - D flower.

2 pieces with 3D flowers

Since I have not made this flower before, I needed to make a prototype.  Each petal is made separately from a cane I made just for this prototype.  I'll use it as a pin later.  Then the pieces are glued to a base.  Since this worked I'll make the flower for the canvas.  In fact, that is the flower at the top of this blog!
prototype flower

The canvas was painted blue and the pieces added.  The 2 large flat pieces are attached with tiny bolts and nuts to the canvas.  The flower is attached with a nail that goes from the back of the canvas into the back of the flower and is glued in place.   It is such fun to figure out the processes and see what can be done.



Finished piece!








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Learning As We Go!

Spring Do-Over Challenge

The Draw of the Mojave Desert or Why I Started Designing Jewelry