Untold Stories

Over the years and many moves later, I’m cleaning out my current master closet.  It is a long narrow closet with shelves and more room than I’m used to having.  That is where the ‘family boxes’ were stored when we moved to this house.  Those boxes have not been opened for a number of years for one reason or another.  Now I have time,  a vintage etsy store and not many family members who are interested in the contents. 
http://www.lindabrittdesign.blogspot.com/2012_11_01_archive.html

Last month I came across the box of ladies handkerchiefs.  This week I opened a box of crocheted and knitted children’s clothes.  Not many items, but enough to revive the stories in my memory.  
My mother had a pen-pal in England and they shared letters, stories and sent gifts.  This brown hand-knitted dress was one of those gifts for me as a little girl.  The pen-pal in England was a woman, a wife, a mother who had twin boys and I wonder what my mother sent to them.  I also wonder how the friendship started and where those boys are now.  There are so many stories untold in everyone’s families.  It seems like such a good time of year to ask questions and share those untold stories. 



Comments

  1. Linda, I received a lovely gift from you today, and I cannot tell you how very much I appreciate it. I have one to send you as well, but it won't go out until Friday with a bunch of others I have to send. I put some love in it just for you. It is a secret upcycling project I have been doing, and I hope you enjoy yours! (Can't post pics till after Christmas!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are many lost stories, Linda, and with the passing of time fewer storytellers to ensure they are remembered. As a child I lived far from extended family, but as an adult I have learned to treasure the sweet tales that are filtering through from little-known cousins, etc., through modern platforms like blogs and Facebook. It's never to late to celebrate our personal history!

    That little brown dress is just adorable... certainly it could be a beautiful special-occasion garment for a modern girl!

    *I hope it's O.K. to mention that I like your new blog format, Linda.*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on story telling. I have to agree that we need more story tellers! Thank you for the comment on my blog format. I really appreciate feedback.
      Merry Christmas!
      Linda

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Learning As We Go!

The Draw of the Mojave Desert or Why I Started Designing Jewelry

Giving New Meaning to UPCYCLE!