Rocks and More Rocks!





My father loved rocks.  He was happiest when he was rock hounding or cutting and polishing rocks.  As a child, I did not want to have anything to do with my father's hobby of rocks or rock hounding.  And that was definitely my loss. 

Today I have many cabochons that he cut and polished.  It is why I started designing and making jewelry.  One day I came across Cynthia Tinapple’s information on making rocks and I took her Craftscast class http://www.craftcast.com/class-or-recording-item/166269-making-beach-pebbles-from-polymer-clay.  I've been collecting tips from other polymer artists and I decided that would be my first project for my ‘Polymer Clay Personal Workshop’! 
Before Curing - nature's rocks in center
I can almost hear my father say, ‘You made rocks?  Why?  You can just go out and pick them up!”  I guess my answer would be, ‘Because I can!’   I remember him being astounded that I bought large rocks for my yard in Tucson.  His comment as he shook his head, “Why would you spend money on rocks when that’s all there is around here? “  He was looking at the Catalina Mountains when he said that!
Before curing - look at the color change with the after
·      Things I learned while making rocks:

It helps to have a real rock to look at!   I was surprised how little I really remembered about the details until I looked at the rock I was going to mimic.

 Get spices that you like to smell!  I bought a paprika blend of spices (good for fish) that smelled great as I mixed them with transparent clay.  The pepper that I used for blackish color made me sneeze! And was not really black.   Experiment with additives.  I did not try sand but it would be great for sandstone!   
                                                                                                                          
Test cure small pieces because the colors will change with the curing.

 Rocks are generally formed in layers so swirls don’t look real!

  It is really fun to look for unusual rocks.  Some don’t look real but are!

 Mix your polymer rocks with real ones to see how they blend.  Good clue as to how good you are  getting!

 One can get lost in rock making...and forget time.

People looked at me a little strangely when I told them I was making rocks.  But then I realized they weren't all that surprised!

My Rocks and Nature's Rocks combined

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Learning As We Go!

Spring Do-Over Challenge

The Draw of the Mojave Desert or Why I Started Designing Jewelry