How I Tell Stories!


What is the story this elf is writing?

Storytelling has always fascinated me and I’ve attempted to tell stories throughout my life in various ways.  As a child, I listened to stories told by my parents and my grandparents.  I listened to stories told by their friends and I learned much about my family, my culture and formed my dreams.

Many years ago (30+), my niece was just the right age to have one of my dolls.  As I did not want to just give her the doll, I created a story for that doll with doll clothes for different activities.  She could take those props and make her own stories.

As a photographer I try to catch an image that makes you wonder or want to know more!

Why is this American Kestrel hovering?

As an interior designer, I had many shelves and pot ledges (high shelves popular in the southwest homes) to create.  I created stories that reflected the interests of my clients in an artistic manner. As I created the props or visual cues for the stories, the viewer could make up their own stories or ask the owner for theirs. 

Giving a Setting to Folk Art

 My favorite accessorizer, Jay Woehlck of Plant Effects, and I created many 3-D stories.  Using a group of jars filled with colorful fruit on a kitchen shelf might make us wonder where the fruit originated, appreciate the shape of unusual bottles and wonder what can be made or what the fruit tastes like.  Easy to make up a story! 

A group of Southwest Indian baskets tells of a person’s interest in a specific culture and craft.  Picture the elder basket weaver teaching a beginner or think of the fun of finding each basket for the collection.   The stories made by the viewer are endless. 

Collection of Southwest Baskets

Now that I make jewelry, I like for you to know how it is made, what material is used, where the stones came from and what inspired me.  In my ‘about me’ section of my website (www.lindabrittdesign.com) and my etsy site (www.etsy.com/shop/lindabrittdesign) I tell about my dad and my brothers mining a stone in the Mojave Desert and trade marking it ‘Mojave Stone’.  I share how my dad cut  and polished the stone making cabochons and how I came to have them.  It is important to me and hopefully interesting to you that I share the story behind my one of a kind creations.  Each piece is unique to the buyer filling a special need making both our lives better. 

Mojave Stone in the Sea

Stories help us dream, help us remember, reinforce history and bring us together.  Telling good stories is an art – an important art.  And this is the perfect time of year for stories!  I'd love to see/hear your stories.  Please share!
You might enjoy www.storycorps.com too!

Comments

  1. Hi, I am leaving a comment here reg your query on saree ribbon on my blog Jewlsofsayuri - you can cut it on any grain - on bias the edges will fray less and stretch more and on straight or cross it will fray more. Width will depend on the application for which you want it - 0.5" to 0.75" for jewelry (wrapping or as cords) and 1" and above if you want to use it for packaging. This is just my idea, you can do whatever you want as there are no rules here. Have fun with your ribbon

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Learning As We Go!

Spring Do-Over Challenge

The Draw of the Mojave Desert or Why I Started Designing Jewelry