A Visit to the San Diego Zoo



One day is not enough!  I'm not sure a week would be enough.  The San Diego Zoo is one of my favorite places to visit and my recent trip did not disappoint.  The zoo is huge so you just have to start somewhere.

There are metal sculptures tucked among trees and bushes, sitting on logs and posts.  It's a nice contrast with the animals. Exhibits throughout show prehistoric and modern changes in environment and animals.

 The habitats for the animals are as 'real' as they can be made given the amount of land available.  I talked to a guide for a while and she explained some of the research the zoo is doing in other countries.  They have a program that helps save the elephants in Africa by offering a living wage to poachers with the understanding that instead of poaching they will help track the elephants and work with the zoo program.  I was impressed with the amount of conservation research they do.


 Here are just a few photos for you to enjoy!


Family of Slender-tailed Meerkats
 I love watching the Meerkats as they interact with each other.  Two babies were learning to balance on a log and one kept falling off.  Determined he kept climbing back and trying again!

Secretary Bird 
 The Secretary Bird has fascinated me since I saw them in the wild in Tanzania.  They really do look a lot like secretaries used to look with high heels and a pencil tucked behind their ear.

Maned 'Wolf'-South America
 The Maned Wolf was beautiful and I got a really good look at him and he is not really a wolf but of another genus.

Southern Gerenuks -Tanzania
 I spent quite a bit of time with the Gerenuks and the zoo guide.  This is the mating season and the male was checking out the females.  He was gentle as he asked the lady to get up.  They are so graceful.
Snow Leopard - high elevations of Central Asia
 The two Snow Leopard held my attention as they chased each other and growled loudly!  Amazing animals and endangered.

Electus Parrot - Indonesia
 I had to visit the aviary and one of the first birds I saw was the Electus Parrot.  Wow!  Look at that color.

Victoria crowned Pigeon - New Guinea
 This pigeon was named after Queen Victoria and it certain has a regal bearing.

Tree Trunk - great pattern!
 Lots of interesting and unusual pattern and textures in the trees and plants.  I'm always looking for texture and pattern.

Emerald Starling
 When the sun hit this starling, I was spellbound.  The iridescent colors - well - just Wow!

Flamingo
The beautiful pink flamingos were the last exhibit before the end of  my day.  Good for my soul!
www.sandiegozoo.org

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Learning As We Go!

Spring Do-Over Challenge

The Draw of the Mojave Desert or Why I Started Designing Jewelry