The Value of Restringing Jewelry

broken pearl strands redone with added jade beads

“Oh, my necklace broke.  I’ll just put it in my jewelry box and deal with it later!” and later could be years away.  Why not have it restrung so you can wear it again?

There are many reasons to restring necklaces and I offer my services to several jewelers in town.  It seems that many of the jewelers are too busy or don’t want to take someone’s necklace and remake it.   I happen to enjoy doing just that. 

A strand of coral to be restrung with added elements

Restrung coral in a new design

https://www.etsy.com/listing/279669910/red-coral-statement-necklace-with-bronze?ref=shop_home_active_2

another way to restring coral (with silver beads as spacers)
When I have the opportunity to look at a necklace that someone else designed, I look at the way the beads are combined, how they are attached to the clasp and figure out why the piece broke.  Usually the string used has shredded from a bead that is rough on the inside or had come off the clasp.  When I restring the beads I can give extra strength in those areas or use a different thread. 


I also have the opportunity to see what people like to keep, what their memories are, why the piece is important to them.  That helps me know what people will want in the future and what qualities I might want to add to my designs.  The value of a necklace is not just a monetary value but a comfort value or a friendship value or a piece of love given.  I’ve restrung a stretch bracelet that had little monetary value but it was comfortable and made the wearer feel special. 


If the piece is vintage, I handle history and see what materials were used in a former time.  I often research the piece and the techniques used to make it. 

combining new beads with old pendant and beads
https://www.etsy.com/listing/71101025/vintage-pendant-with-romantic-porcelain?ref=shop_home_active_5

Recently I was given a pearl necklace to restring and I estimated the time it would take to finish it.  I started reviewing the process and the size of the silk thread I would need.  I happened to have nylon thread for stringing pearls that was the size I needed and found after knotting 8 pearls that I did not like using the nylon.  I stopped and ordered the correct silk thread and will start that project again with the correct materials.  So my time estimate is not correct but both the client and I will be happy with the end product.   If you are interested in stringing pearls a good book to use as a reference  -Pearl and Bead Stringing by Henrietta      http://www.amazon.com/Pearl-Bead-Stringing-Henrietta-Virchick/dp/0962713708?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00



               I also enjoy taking vintage pieces and incorporating them into new pieces of jewelry.  It’s fun to blend the old with the new.  So much to enjoy about jewelry!

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Learning As We Go!

Spring Do-Over Challenge

The Draw of the Mojave Desert or Why I Started Designing Jewelry