I'm Back with New Pieces of Art Jewelry



It’s been a while since my last post and while I missed writing them, I hope you also missed sharing my adventures!  Between a road trip to Berkeley and having painful (very painful) shoulder tendonitis my activities really slowed down.  Now I’M BACK!  Ready to explore new techniques and have fun.

When I see a good tutorial about something new that catches my fancy, I buy it and eventually the day comes when I just have to try it.  Staci Louise Smith wrote a tutorial “Gold Rush: The Rustic Crackle Technique” for Craft Art Edu.  I loved the pictures of her necklaces and wanted to see what I could do.  If you like the crackle effect  on my pieces or want to try something new, check out her tutorial on  www.CraftArtEdu.com   They have good classes on many subjects.

When I started following tutorials, I expected my pieces to look like the instructors.  That just did not happen and it is not the fault of the tutorial or the instructor.  It is that my mind and hands take their own trips and create something a little different with the same basic process that is used in the tutorial.   This adventure was no different - each step created a look that was unexpected and a surprise.  Perhaps that is why I continued to follow carefully watching the video and reading the instructions.  There's a lot of information here!   My finished pieces do not look like Staci’s but the finished crackle does.

A different twist on the crackle - same technique 

I started with white polymer clay and all the supplies listed in the supply list.  There are 3 sections with very good steps to follow.  I really had to search for a couple of the items and it was well worth the effort.  I had never used One Stop Crackle and love it.  I was delighted to be able to use some products that I had on hand like my alcohol inks and acrylic paints.


White Polymer

Gold Crackle Applied in early stage.  Note shape in the lower right corner 
If you decide to buy the tutorial, I cannot emphasize enough the need to watch and read about the entire process before you actually start the making.  And then experiment with the colors. 

Intermediate step in the layering of color.  Note the center shape!

I now want to do it all again since I understand more about what happens at each step.  Next time I’ll be able to plan the end products a little differently as well as leave more white on some pieces.  The layering of color is wonderful and the changes between steps are amazing! 

Final finishing with sealer.  See the change in the shape in right lower corner?


A finished piece in greens, blues and gold. 
Watch for pieces to show up in my etsy store. Some pieces are in the Art Market at the Prescott Gateway Mall.  (Prescott AZ)   I made buttons too!  https://www.etsy.com/listing/400997065/3-oval-rustic-buttons-in-sunset-colors?ref=shop_home_active_2

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Learning As We Go!

Spring Do-Over Challenge

The Draw of the Mojave Desert or Why I Started Designing Jewelry