Necklace On My Mind

 
A necklace design with components made from steel clay has been in my mind for quite a while now.  This week I decided to make a sketch so I could move the project along.  I want to use the long orange bead with a Middle Eastern theme as a focal (purchased it at the last Tucson Gem and Mineral Show.)

Prima in Saran after pulling it out of the tube
 I also want to use some of the basic techniques I learned in Hadar Jacobson’s class.  I bought a large block of Prima (a professional grade plastilina) that has wax and is great for forming a shape, wrapping it in saran and in this design, wrapping steel textured clay around it.  Then when the bead is dry, I will carefully pull out the saran with the Prima in it.  Works great as long as the ends are open enough for the Prima to exit.  I broke one tube doing this.  You also don't want to get the Prima warm as the wax will melt and there will be a mess!

Sanding the tube
I mix up Hadar’s steel clay, roll it out, texture it with a scrolling leaf design, cut and roll it around the Prima in the saran.  The ends of the tube need a finish treatment and I add extruded coils.  These are set aside to dry. 


Next comes sanding and finishing and firing them in the kiln. 


Two Horn-like Components and Center Tube (before sanding unfired)


You can see from my sketch that I need two horn-like beads for the side and a tube for the center.

While the beads are firing, I’m selecting possibilities for the multiple strand beads.  Until the steel is out of the kiln and I see the actual shrinkage I can’t be sure what beads I will use.  I want my choices to be available.  

Results from the firing in the kiln:


These horn-like beads fired nicely and will be polished.
The center bead collapsed and split and will be made again.
Stay tuned for the next stages next week!  I'll make the new center bead, finish the three beads and have the beads selected.  If all goes well, I might be able to show you the finished necklace.  Be sure to check back next Friday.

Comments

  1. Fascinating to see how you work out your designs and to see your work progress. Thank you for sharing this with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Nelly May for your comments. I love to hear from my readers and I love to share with them.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Learning As We Go!

Spring Do-Over Challenge

The Draw of the Mojave Desert or Why I Started Designing Jewelry