Lizards on My Journal

Finished piece

It's been quite a while since I tried to sculpt anything but it's been in the back of my mind for a time.  After watching tutorials by Aniko Kolesnikova better known in the polymer world at 'Mandarin Duck', I just had to try sculpting a journal cover.  This is a link to one of her tutorials that you might like to see.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2QLifZkONI

Of course I had to try lizards...specifically young Bearded Dragons!  I have 2 live ones and was able to check on details often.  I'm sure 'Willie' and 'Mario' wondered why I was so interested in their parts.

This picture is of the flat sheet of shaded brown polymer and acts as the background for the sculpture.  It is important to make this the actual size you want for the cover.  It can be trimmed when you are done but it's difficult to make it bigger.  This one is 8" x 11".  


Background
It took some time and a failed lizard before I got the hang of forming lizard parts.  I started with the head and scaled the body to fit.  Bearded Dragons have a distinct triangular shaped head with high bones above the eye sockets.  They flatten their bodies when relaxed and basking and they have cone shaped spines that outline the body.  

First lizard basic body
Finding the right texture to represent the individual scales was fun.  I finally decided to use some metal leather stamps.  After texturing, the cone spines were added.  Talk about time consuming!


First lizard textured with spines.  Waiting for his buddy!
 I made the second lizard and placed him on top of the other.  When I go to Reptile Shows there are always baby Bearded Dragons stacked on each other on a log.  Pretty cute!  They just like to be together.  That changes as their hormones get going!



After making this and having such a good time, I'll do more.  But I have some concerns about using this as a journal cover.  When I write in my journal, I like to have it open all the way and it might be on my lap or a table.  My concern is about the raised sculpture getting in the way or having to be careful not to damage it.

I like this so much that I may put it on a board instead of on the journal and hang it someplace - maybe on the front porch!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Learning As We Go!

The Draw of the Mojave Desert or Why I Started Designing Jewelry

Giving New Meaning to UPCYCLE!