My Twist on Tropical Fish

 



Ever wonder what you could do with those extra parts and pieces you have in containers?  I happened to pick up a polymer start to a bead and decided to do something else with it.  I may never know why it reminded me of tropical fish but it did.  This was my opportunity to experiment, create and learn.  

These are polymer shells I learned to make in Dan Cormier's class and as it happens I got carried away and made several I did not use.  They make great fish bodies!  

Next a little research -  I wanted my fish to be somewhat accurate (yes with lots of poetic license!)  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tropical_fish

Then I started going through some of my old polymer canes and making some new colors and textures and the fun began!  Just coat the baked shells with liquid polymer and start applying textures and colors.  Once the fish were finished.....ok it was so much fun I may have to make more!...I needed seagrass to anchor them in the visual story.

Long strands of seagrass came from using the extruder.

Extruder [add clay and push)









I used a plastic placemat I had as a pattern to cut out the coral fans.   Metallic polymer adds shimmer as does an acrylic glaze.   To finish I painted a board, added a glaze and glued everything in place. 

I'm really happy with the result!  I hope you enjoy seeing it.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Learning As We Go!

Spring Do-Over Challenge

The Draw of the Mojave Desert or Why I Started Designing Jewelry