The Lure of the Cabbage

I love going to the market and seeing all the colors and shapes of vegetables and flowers and people.  Usually I take my camera and capture whatever catches my eye.  But today I decided to just enjoy everything with my friend and buy some tomatoes and and flowers. 

Of course I took a large bag and before my trip was over I had 3 bags full.  I knew that would happen didn't you? 

As I turned a corner and went up another aisle, I was stopped by a cabbage with the largest ruffliest leaves I have ever seen.  I said, 'I want that!  I want to take a picture of it.'  Remember, I had no camera!  The lady in the stall offered to take off the big outer leaves so I would have a normal size cabbage.  I almost grabbed it out of her hands!  'No!! Those leaves are why I want it!"  So she carefully handed my the cabbage and I got it into a plastic bag.   We left soon after that with my bag full of tomatoes, squash, 6 large sunflowers and my ruffled cabbage!  On the way home I imagined jewelry designs I could make inspired by the distinct veins and ruffles.  That will be another post!

Yes, I immediately took pictures when I got home.  I enjoyed looking at the ruffles and the rhythm of those large - at least 15" across- deep green leaves.  

Knowing the cabbage had to fit into the refrigerator, I carefully cut the big outer leaves off.  What to do with them?  I simply could not throw them out. 






Out came the cookbooks and then the recipes on the computer.  Thank you Wasabimon.com and Martha Stewart!  On the Wasabimon site I found Martha Stewart's Stuffed Cabbage Rolls Recipe.  This is not a cooking blog but I had to share the results of the 'Lure of the Cabbage'!

  
Yummy!  Cabbage Rolls, Beets, Green Beans


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Learning As We Go!

The Draw of the Mojave Desert or Why I Started Designing Jewelry

Giving New Meaning to UPCYCLE!