Travel Journals –Worth Their Weight!


Good friends called to say they were going to travel to Kenya and Tanzania.  They knew that Peter and I had gone a few years ago and wondered if we had any advice.  Of course we do!  I told them I would look through my journals and send things that might be interesting.
What fun I had going through my journals!  We spent 10 days on a tour mostly in Tanzania with http://www.africa-adventure.com/.  The best part was having our own guide, Firozdin Rafiq. We could stop and take photos and watch wildlife anywhere we wanted and he was extremely knowledgeable about birds to elephants and inbetween.  (He has a fb page).   I think I came home with over 700 really good photos not counting the ones I trashed.  We were interested in everything!
Because we were going in a small plane between Kenya and Tanzania, we were allowed a total of 35 pounds each.  That included the camera, lenses, binoculars and clothes.   I came across the list of what I packed in a small suitcase and my backpack.  The backpack weighed 18 pounds by itself.  Thought I would share that list.  



After I returned home, I created 5 volumes of handmade books with a photo and a caption on each page from my actual travel journal.  They sit on the chest in our bedroom with photos and African masks, carved animals, and beads.  Nice reminders of a great time. 
This week I want to share some of my African experiences with you.   My friends can read about it and get more excited as they plan their trip while you and I get to sift through memories.  So check in often. 
Please sign up to ‘follow’ my blog.  I’d love that!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Learning As We Go!

Spring Do-Over Challenge

The Draw of the Mojave Desert or Why I Started Designing Jewelry