Realizing What Really Is Important

Sometimes it takes a catastrophe to make us realize what really is important.  
                
Letting my everyday frustrations pile  and allowing my tendency to jump into projects that are at the far edge of my skillset caused some angst.   I made an overlay ring that went fairly well other than getting the silver too hot so the ring band is no longer symmetrical.  The good news is that it fits and if I don't let anyone see it closely it won't show and I like the texture caused by too much heat.
 

The overlay silver cuff class I took was a huge stretch for me.  I got most of the design sawed out in class but that was all.  'Ok' I said, 'I have everything at home and I can finish this there'.  When I got home I worked for 2 days to get the two pieces of silver to solder. It should have taken 15 minutes maybe.  At the end of the second day, I realized that the solder tip I was using was too small and when I changed to the next size with more heat  - the solder melted!  All I can say is that my torch and I are much better friends now!  The  piece of sterling will be a cuff one day.

Some day this will be a cuf!
My summer home project of repairing the low driveway stucco wall is taking all summer.  Today I bought the primer and the paint and I'm pretty sure I'll get it done this year!  I'm also pretty sure I won't do another stucco project.



None of these things are dramatic, catastrophic, or will be remembered in 5 years.  

When real disaster hits, everything falls back into areas of importance. That's when we realize how fortunate we are to have each other and to have our health.  It's when our hearts go out to those in need and our hands reach out to help.  I'm thinking of the victims of hurricane Harvey and the devastation to their lives.  



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Learning As We Go!

Spring Do-Over Challenge

The Draw of the Mojave Desert or Why I Started Designing Jewelry