Coat of Many Colors - A Side Trip!



Ready for black neckband and black piping!
Part 1
After the holidays I was ready for a different design project.  My friend, Luana, and I visited ‘Quilter’s Store Sedona’, a wonderful quilt shop in Sedona AZ  a couple of months ago and we both fell in love with the “Shanghai Jacket”.  There was a pattern available and we split the cost so we both could make one at the same time. http://www.quiltersstoresedona.com/shop/Patterns/Garments.htm

 

 I purchased a bag of silk strips from a shop on Etsy many months ago http://www.etsy.com/shop/SilkHouse and decided to use them on this jacket.  Luana showed me how to sew the 1” or so strips together so I would not lose my mind during the process and we went to Joann’s for some additional pieces of fabric and piping.  I have not used piping in years! 

Some of the fabrics I chose for large pieces!
I will not buy the lining until I finish the outside of the jacket just in case I can be creative there too!  I think  black will be the best choice for the lining.  There is enough color and pattern on the outside!

I started cutting the pattern pieces, cutting the batiste fabric I would sew the strips on and then selecting the colors and patterns I would use.  Some pattern pieces would be one fabric and some would be multi-colored stripes.  It was fun to put them together and see the transitions and contrasts.  I realized this is also what I do when I work with polymer clay combining canes and solids. May have to make some jewelry to go with this!

 

Now I’m ready to put the neckband and piping and lining on.  I’ll show you the finished product next post! 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Learning As We Go!

Spring Do-Over Challenge

The Draw of the Mojave Desert or Why I Started Designing Jewelry