Notebook for a Quilter




Once in awhile, I take a class that really resonates!  Anke Humpert's  class on notebooks in Polymer Clay Adventures was one of those classes. Mosaic Notebook Covers with Anke Humpert at PCA 2017.  

I have a very good friend who is a quilter.  She was having a birthday and I wanted to make something special.  It seemed like a polymer cover on a spiral journal would be perfect.    

Finding the right kind of notebook with the right kind of spiral turned out to be more difficult than anticipated.  I found one at The Dollar Store but it was not as thick as I wanted.   I purchased it and by the time I made the book  cover, several pages had to be removed so the cover could turn.  Next time I'll look for a thicker one!

The color scheme I chose reflects colors that my friend likes - turquoise and shades of peach.

Selecting a color scheme
I chose several textures since I wanted the cover to look like it was quilted fabric.  Each pattern piece is a different texture.  It was fun to use some of the rolling wheels and sticks that I don't often get to use.  This is also a great way to use some of the scrap clay to merge colors for interest.

Selecting textures
The pattern is curved like fabric might be and the pattern is pieced like a quilt might be.

Placing the shapes of polymer 'fabric'
The piece is baked after cutting the holes for the spiral and decorating the 'quilt'.

Waiting to be 'stitched' and placed in binder
After baking (or curing) I used alcohol ink to draw 'stitches' on each pattern piece and then placed the cover on the spiral to finish the book.

 Happy Birthday Luana!

'Quilted' stitched and finished 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Learning As We Go!

The Draw of the Mojave Desert or Why I Started Designing Jewelry

Giving New Meaning to UPCYCLE!