The Pieces Come Together


The Finished Funky Chunky Necklace

These polymer beads have been on my work table for months!  They are hollow, light weight and colorful.  I love them but did not have any inspiration on how to finish them.   One evening I happened to pick up my box of steel wire (baling wire from the hardware store) and some leather strips.  Maybe I could use the leather and weave it through the beads.  Nope!  The central bead was curved and too long for the leather to go through.  Next I tried the steel wire and I liked the look with the chunky beads. 

I have found that if I am patient and keep parts (like the beads I love but have no idea what to do with) a solution will surface.  It makes cleaning up and cleaning the studio harder to do!

It has been a while since I used steel wire and I remembered how black my hands got.  I also needed heavier pliers than I usually use.  Got my tools together and formed the wires with loops on each end 
of each bead.

The wire, beads, and flex shaft used to clean up the wire.
 Then I experimented with making the clasp and I'm really happy with the end result.   The red leather that joins the steel loops with the clasp is fastened by bending the wire end of the clasp into the leather and tightening the wire twist.  After I finished putting the parts together I used the flex shaft to clean and polish the steel.  No more black hands or neck!


Finished Clasp

Bead Detail

Bead Detail






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Learning As We Go!

Spring Do-Over Challenge

The Draw of the Mojave Desert or Why I Started Designing Jewelry