'Not for Sissies' Necklace - An Idea Evolves





2 Years of Simmering
 Sometimes ideas sit and simmer.  Sometimes for years and then they need to be revisited.

2 years of moving these beads around my studio
After cleaning off my work space in the studio many small containers of red beads appeared.  A couple of years ago (you know how time flies...) I had a idea for a necklace.  One group of beads I made were thin discs cut from a floral cane.  They cured on small muffin tins so they flared and ruffled.   The smaller thicker red discs and some much smaller round beads were added.  Then I stopped.  Probably a different idea got my attention and the red beads sat there. 

Several times over the following weeks and months they were moved from place to place.  Then thinking about having to sand all those beads before I used them made me wonder exactly how I would put them together.  There were times I wondered why I just didn't throw them away. But there they sat.

Dividing the beads and deciding how to string them
This week it was time for action!  Either sand them or dump them!  Of course the necklace idea was still in my head so I started sanding a few at a time.  Connecting with the beads made me re-imagine the necklace again. 

Need More Beads!!
Since my idea was vague and needed definition, I started stringing the beads in various orders.  Finding the one I liked also made me realize I did not have enough small round beads.  Good grief.  More beads!  It is already a 2 year project so what's a few more hours? 


Beads made and cured and  tumbled for a little shine.  Stringing and adding a clasp.  Finished!  Can't wait to wear it. This necklace makes a statement - Not for Sissies!


Don't  toss out all those old ideas.  Let them simmer and revisit them!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Learning As We Go!

The Draw of the Mojave Desert or Why I Started Designing Jewelry

Giving New Meaning to UPCYCLE!