Friday, October 4, 2013

Amethyst and Another Day at ‘My Personal Polymer Workshop’

Lazy River Technique with Amethyst Chips
By now, I've lost track of what day I've made what technique in polymer clay.  I do know that I am enjoying trying the various ideas in Julie Picarello’s book, ‘Patterns in Polymer - Imprint & Accent Bead Techniques’.  I have never taken the time to explore a technique book in depth and I find that I like being immersed in polymer with a focus.  Usually I flip through a book, stop and look at something and go, “hmmm – that would be interesting to try!” 

Today’s focus is ‘Lazy River’. My Lazy River is definitely different than Julie's but I use the same techniques. My colors are purple, green, teal, translucent, glitter and silver. My theme is nature, leaves with shimmering dew, moonlight through forests and swirling hidden streams.  A friend gave me some amethyst chips and I decided to use them as accents and work them into some of the layers of clay.  Just an experiment!

Large chips in circles for earrings, layered discs for buttons 
I stacked my layers of clay keeping the darker greens for background.  I took the green and imprinted textures reminding me of leaves.  Then I cut the remaining clay stack into two pieces, put them back together and imprinted my design with a variety of tools.  I cut slices from this stack. The two pieces came apart and I lay them on my green background touching and then spreading.  It’s a fun way to get dimension.
Large leaf is the 'lazy river' and will be a pendant I think
The deeper I cut into the stack, the less likely that the two pieces separated.  I used those for beads and buttons. 

Beads in upper right corner...very organic!
It seems I was too busy to take pictures during this process but you can see how many pieces I made.  After curing, I tumbled and sanded.  The pieces have great sparkle and the tumbling made the beads smooth without looking smooth.  I was concerned about the amethyst being too sharp but it isn't.  I can’t wait to make a necklace with them!

Lots of pieces to work with!








No comments:

Post a Comment

Friday, October 4, 2013

Amethyst and Another Day at ‘My Personal Polymer Workshop’

Lazy River Technique with Amethyst Chips
By now, I've lost track of what day I've made what technique in polymer clay.  I do know that I am enjoying trying the various ideas in Julie Picarello’s book, ‘Patterns in Polymer - Imprint & Accent Bead Techniques’.  I have never taken the time to explore a technique book in depth and I find that I like being immersed in polymer with a focus.  Usually I flip through a book, stop and look at something and go, “hmmm – that would be interesting to try!” 

Today’s focus is ‘Lazy River’. My Lazy River is definitely different than Julie's but I use the same techniques. My colors are purple, green, teal, translucent, glitter and silver. My theme is nature, leaves with shimmering dew, moonlight through forests and swirling hidden streams.  A friend gave me some amethyst chips and I decided to use them as accents and work them into some of the layers of clay.  Just an experiment!

Large chips in circles for earrings, layered discs for buttons 
I stacked my layers of clay keeping the darker greens for background.  I took the green and imprinted textures reminding me of leaves.  Then I cut the remaining clay stack into two pieces, put them back together and imprinted my design with a variety of tools.  I cut slices from this stack. The two pieces came apart and I lay them on my green background touching and then spreading.  It’s a fun way to get dimension.
Large leaf is the 'lazy river' and will be a pendant I think
The deeper I cut into the stack, the less likely that the two pieces separated.  I used those for beads and buttons. 

Beads in upper right corner...very organic!
It seems I was too busy to take pictures during this process but you can see how many pieces I made.  After curing, I tumbled and sanded.  The pieces have great sparkle and the tumbling made the beads smooth without looking smooth.  I was concerned about the amethyst being too sharp but it isn't.  I can’t wait to make a necklace with them!

Lots of pieces to work with!








No comments:

Post a Comment