Amethyst and Another Day at ‘My Personal Polymer Workshop’

Lazy River Technique with Amethyst Chips
By now, I've lost track of what day I've made what technique in polymer clay.  I do know that I am enjoying trying the various ideas in Julie Picarello’s book, ‘Patterns in Polymer - Imprint & Accent Bead Techniques’.  I have never taken the time to explore a technique book in depth and I find that I like being immersed in polymer with a focus.  Usually I flip through a book, stop and look at something and go, “hmmm – that would be interesting to try!” 

Today’s focus is ‘Lazy River’. My Lazy River is definitely different than Julie's but I use the same techniques. My colors are purple, green, teal, translucent, glitter and silver. My theme is nature, leaves with shimmering dew, moonlight through forests and swirling hidden streams.  A friend gave me some amethyst chips and I decided to use them as accents and work them into some of the layers of clay.  Just an experiment!

Large chips in circles for earrings, layered discs for buttons 
I stacked my layers of clay keeping the darker greens for background.  I took the green and imprinted textures reminding me of leaves.  Then I cut the remaining clay stack into two pieces, put them back together and imprinted my design with a variety of tools.  I cut slices from this stack. The two pieces came apart and I lay them on my green background touching and then spreading.  It’s a fun way to get dimension.
Large leaf is the 'lazy river' and will be a pendant I think
The deeper I cut into the stack, the less likely that the two pieces separated.  I used those for beads and buttons. 

Beads in upper right corner...very organic!
It seems I was too busy to take pictures during this process but you can see how many pieces I made.  After curing, I tumbled and sanded.  The pieces have great sparkle and the tumbling made the beads smooth without looking smooth.  I was concerned about the amethyst being too sharp but it isn't.  I can’t wait to make a necklace with them!

Lots of pieces to work with!








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Learning As We Go!

Spring Do-Over Challenge

The Draw of the Mojave Desert or Why I Started Designing Jewelry