My Journey into Victorian Style Ribbon Flowers

When something piques my interest, I seem to dive right in.  What? Me try to do just one and see if I like it?  Oh not me! Exploring in depth is more my style. 
I love vintage hats, hatpins, perfume bottles and ribbon flowers.  My mother-in-law gave me some very old family heirlooms – tiny ribbon flowers.  I treasure them.  So when my friend, Jay, asked me to go to a class with her and learn to make ribbon flowers, I just had to do it.  Jay is an accessorizer extraordinaire - http://www.plant-effects.com .   The class was held at http://www.askrenandsons.com a floral warehouse business in Tucson and I came home with lots of gorgeous silk wired ribbon.  I had such a good time with Kathy Askren (instructor) that I bought several books and kept learning different techniques.  After several months, I also had lots of flowers! 
They were used on beautiful packages as part of the ribbons and worn on dresses and coats.  They went on hats and in hair and I made a spectacular floral arrangement. 
A little more than a year ago, we moved to Prescott AZ and people are finding out about my various artistic tangents and talents.   October 22nd I will be teaching a ‘wild rose’ ribbon flower class at Bead-It. 

I’m also selling some of my creations this Saturday (Sept 17) at Hidden Valley HOA Saturday Holiday Sale (Haisley and Senator Hiway).  Bring a friend and come  from11 a.m. – 5 p.m.!  (I take credit cards too.)  Or look at my etsy shop, www.etsy.com/shop/brittdesigntoo and see some the handmade items.  Great for holiday gifts!










Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Learning As We Go!

Spring Do-Over Challenge

The Draw of the Mojave Desert or Why I Started Designing Jewelry